how to update the firm ware?

Reaction score
Okay, I have been trying to hunt Mac OS Tiger for my old iMac I bought few months ago and finally found it and bought it.

Every time I try to install it, a message pops up saying that I need to update the firmware.

I thought I will give it another try using Tiger that came on CD's and I bought a used one for a very expensive price but it didn't work either.

I am stuck with two system disks that I couldn't use and one old mac desktop with a system that is old as dirt. I have done some research and tried to do whatever they want me to do but nothing worked. I think I better sell it and and get pack of cigarettes (the cheapest). Stupid Macs!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Stupid Macs!

Well you know there's a lot of "User Error" out in the world as well.;)

For example you never told us what sort of Macintosh computer (model & specifications) you have...so it's sort of difficult to provide you with a specific answer to your question.

If you want a "general/generic" answer to your question..."How to update the Firmware?"...the generic answer is...you:

- download the firmware updater from the internet
- you launch the updater
- the updater does it's thing
- you reboot the computer

Now I'm guessing that's not going to be of much help...since you probably don't know which firmware updater to download...why?...because:

- you didn't tell us what model Mac you have
- you didn't tell us what your Mac's specifications are
- you didn't tell us what Mac OS version you're running

So let's not always blame "Stupid Mac's"...let's also consider "User Error" may also play a part!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep sell it and get on the smokes. That will resolve all life's problems. If you want assistance, provide the details as Nick suggests.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
H
Reaction score
Hey guys, Sorry I have been away from the internet trying to study a little.
I appreciate your replies. I still have the mac. Its iMac G3:
Processor 800 Mhz
Ram: 256 MB
Hard drive is 30 GB.
The system is Mac OS 9.1

Anything else could help?
I didn't give up yet. Trying to be patient and see the system. if I like it, then I would like to sell my PC as well as the laptop I have and get a nice mac laptop.

Thanks,

OP
H
Reaction score
If you want a "general/generic" answer to your question..."How to update the Firmware?"...the generic answer is...you:

- download the firmware updater from the internet
- you launch the updater
- the updater does it's thing
- you reboot the computer

Now I'm guessing that's not going to be of much help...since you probably don't know which firmware updater to download...why?...because:

- you didn't tell us what model Mac you have
- you didn't tell us what your Mac's specifications are
- you didn't tell us what Mac OS version you're running

So let's not always blame "Stupid Mac's"...let's also consider "User Error" may also play a part!;)

- Nick

I tried to update the firmware using the steps you mentioned but didn't work.
I know about "USER ERROR" but it's not that this time. I know I am new to macs but not a complete retard. installing a new system on a computer shouldn't be rocket science!
I heard that mac os is a lot easier and more stable then windows so why all this complexity in installing a system on it? I don't seem to get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This is the update you require and you do need to be running OS 9.1 or 9.2 to install the update. Download and read the instructions that come with it:-

iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9: Information and Download

Have to tell you however that 800MHz does not ring true as 700MHz is the fastest G3's came in. Sure it is not what is known as a G4 lampshade model with screen on top of the dome?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1362

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_800_fp.html

If it be the G4 then you need this update:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120068

Sure better that check that user error thingo!

OP
H
Reaction score
It looks just like this one

snap38.jpg

I am sure it is G3 but I am also sure that it is 800 MHz

Thanks,

Will give it a try and come back

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.