not deleting!!!

B

BooAdam

tried to look for a similar thread - couldn't find any!

i'm trying to delete a desktop icon which is a shortcut to a website.

FINDER REQUIRES THAT YOU TYPE YOUR PASSWORD

so i type my password....

THE OPERATION COULD NOT BE COMPLETED BECAUSE YOU DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT PRIVILEGES FOR SOME OF THE ITEMS

...what???

why not???

HELP!!!

(thanx in advance!!!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
the only thing I can think of is that you dont have your desktop set to read & write, that kind of stuff happend to me once. Ctrl+click on the desktop and go to "Get Info". A window should open up on the left, go to the bottom where it says "Ownership & Permissions". Click the arrow and where it says "You can" make sure it says "Read & Write", if not click the arrows on the right and choose Read & Write. Then click the arrow for "Details" directly below that. Mine says "Read & Write" for Owner and Group, and it says "Read only" for Others. Then click Apply to enclosed items, hit Ok, type in your password. Then see if you can delete that icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
could also be messed up permissions. try to repair with disk utility

OP
B

BooAdam

ok thanx folks - all i had to do is GET INFO for desktop and then unlock the padlock under preview, and then bob became my uncle! :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Awesome, that stuff is frustrating. When my powerbook came back from getting serviced, that somehow changed and I couldnt figure out why I wasnt able to delete things from the desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.