• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

GlassGate ~ More Cracks appear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Shocking LIES!
Every time you are critical of Apple, Jesus cries.
Why you be hatin' son?
Just the Man trying to keep Apple down!
"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is.

Let's see, did I miss any? ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So what is next? iPhone 3G gate? Mac Mini Gate? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So what is next? iPhone 3G gate? Mac Mini Gate? :D

I heard the Vatican is secretly shuffling iPhones around between parishes to keep things quiet! They are working with George Soros, the UN and Colonel Sanders.

Reaction score
What can Apple do? I doubt there will be a white iPhone anytime soon. Apple needs to go back to the drawing board. I mean- look at the new iPod touch 4G. It's flat, thin and has no problems (that I know of yet).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What can Apple do? I doubt there will be a white iPhone anytime soon. Apple needs to go back to the drawing board. I mean- look at the new iPod touch 4G. It's flat, thin and has no problems (that I know of yet).

...they're completely different...!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
That was the whole point. When have they ever been completely different? I mean the styling was the same up until the fourth generation.
The back of the iPod Touch was metal and the back of the iPhone has been plastic.
I'm assuming this has something to do with the different radios needed for a phone to work - the metal probably interferes with something. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point. Wasn't the back of the original iPhone metal?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the photos dtravis. I recall wondering why the original iPhone had part metal and part plastic on the back. It occurred to me as a bit odd at the time as it seemed like the multiple pieces/cut/fitting would be more costly to produce, whereas a single backing might look cleaner and be less expensive. I'm starting to get a better idea as to why that may have been a good design call on Apple's part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

image005.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There's a lot of debate about the context of this data. Are there more breakages because there is twice as much glass? Are people being more careless because the glass is touted by Apple as being so much stronger than plastic? With the design of the Bumper cases, is that leading to more opportunity for damage due to more exposed area (the back) vs other cases? Are fewer people using cases to begin with because they simply like the way it looks without a case?

Personally I feel all these are factors, in addition to the design. With the glass going straight to the edges, not having a case leaves it more vulnerable to damage no matter what angle you drop it from. My wife has a Slider on her iPhone 4, so the edges and back are protected and "probably" is no more prone to damage than an iPhone 3Gs without a case and almost certainly no more so than with one. At least if Apple's claim of durability of the glass is true.

And that leads to another point… if that glass is as durable as Apple claims, then they'd certainly be seeing a LOT more cases of breakages if it weren't. I suspect the glass really is as strong as Apple claims, but with so much more exposed area, it's more vulnerable than if it had been wrapped up on the edges.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
"A FIRM that sells warranties for gadgets said Apple's latest generation smartphone is nearly twice as likely as its predecessor to crack in a accident."

"The newest iPhone has glass on the front and the back, doubling the "scratchable surface," the firm noted."

Twice as much glass, twice as likely . . . shocker.

I've heard if you have two phones... that's doubles the the chance of glass damage as well.

:)

Why is it that Apple products seem to attract 'non-stories' in the news.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
FIRM that sells warranties for gadgets said Apple's latest generation smartphone is nearly twice as likely as its predecessor to crack in a accident.

I don't get it. Why would a company that sells warranties for gadgets want everyone to believe that the iPhone 4 is more prone to breaking than its predecessor?

Oh, wait. Never mind. I think I just answered my own question.

I'm going to side with those that say that this story is complete bullocks. Based on my own experience with every model of the iPhone since the 3G, I highly doubt that the glass back on the iPhone 4 is more susceptible to scratching or breaking. In fact, I will even say that it is more durable than plastic backs of the the 3G and the 3GS.

I used an iPhone 3G for nearly two years before replacing it with the iPhone 4. I didn't protect it in a case, and the back side eventually began to show some serious signs of wear and tear. This included several scuff marks and hairline cracks. For the most part, these blemishes were purely cosmetic. They didn't affect my ability to use the phone. However, shortly before buying the iPhone 4, I did notice that a more severe crack had started to form at the iPod connector at the bottom and was slowly working its way straight up the back. With enough time, I'm sure this crack would have made its way to the top of the phone, splitting the back side cleanly in half.

Meanwhile, the touch screen side survived without nary a scratch.

Last year, I bought my wife an iPhone 3GS for her birthday. Soon after, she purchased a case to protect it. She tends to toss it in her purse, which is chock-full of all kinds of crap: keys, change, notepads, and a million other things that could potentially damage her gift. The case she bought also came with a plastic film she could place over the touch screen to prevent it from scratching. At first she wanted to use it but removed it after I told her that the screen on my phone had proven to be extremely scratch resistant.

Less than a year later, the case she had purchased looked like someone had run over it with a car. It was scuffed up, chips of it had been broken off, and the clip that held the top and bottom halves together was starting to fail. I'm not exactly sure what sort of brutality her phone has endured in that purse, but ain't pretty.

Despite all this, the screen on her phone is still scratch-free.

This brings me to the iPhone 4, which I have been using it since the day it launched. Again, I'm going case-free. So far, the phone's in great shape, even after dropping it a few times on some hard surfaces (purely by accident of course). I do notice some minor scratches on the back that I can only see if I shine a bright light on it. That's it. No dents. No chips. No cracks. I'm sure if I hit it with something hard enough, or dropped it from a high enough distance, the glass would shatter. But, you can say the same thing about any other product built by man.

If anything, I'm impressed by how solid the iPhone 4 feels in my hand. It's like a solid brick; it doesn't feel like it's one step away from breaking in two. Given the fact that this supposed problem is hardly being reported by any real world users, I think it's time to call this what it really is -- a bogus report by gdgt.com to drum up hits -- and move on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think it's time to call this what it really is -- a bogus report by gdgt.com to drum up hits -- and move on.

Well said and I agree 100%. It's not perfect but it's a lot better then 3G and 3Gs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Let's see, Square sells the warranties and sends out data with an ominous, if overblown, outlook.

Kind of reminds me of the A/V firms who send out the dire announcements of new Mac viruses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.