Connecting Magic Mouse causes unresponsive desktop

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had a Macbook Pro for a few months now and have had no problems as of yet, but I'm still getting to grips with OSX and so have become a bit phased by a problem which I've been facing recently.

Whenever I connect my Magic Mouse to the Macbook via bluetooth the desktop immediately becomes unresponsive i.e. I can move the cursor around using the mouse but cannot perform any actions such as clicking - it also doesn't register when I scroll over something such as the dock. However, as soon as I turn off the magic mouse the desktop returns to normal and I'm able to click and select things as usual. If the magic mouse is connected and I try and use the trackpad to click I still face the same problem.

I'm a bit perplexed by this to say the least. I've restarted the Mac several times, and have done the latest Software security update, but the problem still persists.

Any advice you can offer would be gratefully appreciated!

pjh11

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just wondering, when you first hooked up the MM Via Bluetooth, did you use Software Update and download the latest Software for the MM?

OP
P
Reaction score
Just wondering, when you first hooked up the MM Via Bluetooth, did you use Software Update and download the latest Software for the MM?

Thanks for you reply. I can't remember it updating, but I should probably clarify that I've already had the mouse for a few weeks and it has been working fine, it was just in the last few days that this problem arose.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Was just checking to be sure as without the new Software the mouse will not work properly. I hope someone else has had this issue and can help. I own 2 MM's and not an issue so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.