Newbie - mini-mac - help !

Reaction score
I hope to get one in next month or so but never touched one yet.

I'd like to connect it to a PC Monitor, PC keyboard and what about mouse. Also Internet.

So the question is "is it possible ?"

What extra hardware do I need ?

Can a usb PC keyboard just plug into it ?

OS will be Snow Leopard and 3GB ram.

I'm just confused at the detail, I realise its capability but don't want to buy a bunch of bits that don't fit !

Any thoughts for this old chesnut, very welcome !

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
USB keyboard and mouse will work fine. You just need to decide what video output you will come out of the Mini and go to your monitor. The Mini has an HDMI and Mini-Display Port connection.

You can either plug in an ethernet cable to access the internet (if it's staying in one place and you can get the cable to it, I recommend this). If you cannot get an ethernet cable, then you will have to use the wireless capabilities.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Everything you asked is yes!:)

Yes you can use a monitor from a Windows computer with the Mac-mini...you may need an adapter. As long as the mouse & keyboard are USB...then they should work as well.

I'm not sure about your internet question. Internet is internet...doesn't really matter if it is a Macintosh or Windows computer. The Mac-mini comes with a wireless airport card for wireless networking...or you can use the ethernet port for wired networking.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Everything you asked is yes!:)

Yes you can use a monitor from a Windows computer with the Mac-mini...you may need an adapter. As long as the mouse & keyboard are USB...then they should work as well.

I'm not sure about your internet question. Internet is internet...doesn't really matter if it is a Macintosh or Windows computer. The Mac-mini comes with a wireless airport card for wireless networking...or you can use the ethernet port for wired networking.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Thanks for both of you for your very interesting replies !

With the mouse which of a PC mouses buttons = the mac single button.

I've got a 15 ? pin VGA and a square thing DIVX ? Monitor. Don't know anthing about HD thing.

Sound ? Is there a 3.5mm stereo socket on the mini Mac ?

:):):)

Tim

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With the mouse which of a PC mouses buttons = the mac single button.

I've got a 15 ? pin VGA and a square thing DIVX ? Monitor. Don't know anthing about HD thing.

Sound ? Is there a 3.5mm stereo socket on the mini Mac ?

Mac OS X supports two button mice. The left button works like older single button Apple mouse/mice...the right button commands are also supported in Mac OS X.

When you buy your Mac-mini...just get a video adapter. Sounds like you would need a VGA to Mini-display port...like this:

Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

MB572

As far as the 3.5mm audio port...I trust you have done some research before buying this Mac-mini...if you go to the Apple website...there is plenty of information there...including the ports...for example:

overview-sideview.jpg

Mac mini - Buy Mac mini desktop computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think instead of Divx you mean DVI. Most good Flat Panel displays have VGA and DVI. I would use DVI given the choice. Just get the right adapter from Apple.

On the RAM I would go with Matched Pairs. The difference will be small but it will be faster with Dual Channel RAM which means matched pairs. Like for 4GB, there are 2 2GB DDR3 Dimms. You can have say a 2GB and a 1GB but there will be a small performance hit.

OP
T
Reaction score
Many thanks for the reply, very interesting info !

Fisual Mini DisplayPort To DVI Adapter

are these OK ?

Seem good value for money spent.

:)

Tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.