Photo Import feature on 20G BW ipod

Reaction score
Hey guys, question. I have 2 20G black and white iPods. One is a year old, the other is a day old. In the settings I noticed an option called photo import. I'm positive that this wasn't always there and must be something new in one of the recent software updates. I'm just curious though, what does this feature do? Does it work with the camera connector by Apple? The one at Apple adds a USB port to the iPod so you can upload pictures directly from your digital camera. The only thing is that it says requirements are a Photo ipod with the iPod photo software. So I'm just curious what this does, because I'm really hoping I can use the connector with this ipod! Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
leemoreau said:
Hey guys, question. I have 2 20G black and white iPods. One is a year old, the other is a day old. In the settings I noticed an option called photo import. I'm positive that this wasn't always there and must be something new in one of the recent software updates. I'm just curious though, what does this feature do? Does it work with the camera connector by Apple? The one at Apple adds a USB port to the iPod so you can upload pictures directly from your digital camera. The only thing is that it says requirements are a Photo ipod with the iPod photo software. So I'm just curious what this does, because I'm really hoping I can use the connector with this ipod! Thanks.

I'm almost positive that you can upload pictures with this one...which was originally made for B&W iPods...
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/accessories/product/belkin-digital-camera-link/

However now that sd, compact flash cards, etc. are so cheap I think its a better deal to buy like a 1g card...unless they have a cheaper version of that camera link

T

Tel

FishinFool said:
However now that sd, compact flash cards, etc. are so cheap I think its a better deal to buy like a 1g card...unless they have a cheaper version of that camera link

I think its worth more than a 1GB CF card. I can fit about 90 RAW photos on my 1GB CF card but can easily take a few hundred shots on any given shoot. I'd rather have 20GB of iPod space instead of an extra 1GB CF card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The key here (for others reading this thread) is to understand that it allows you to upload and store photos on a b/w iPod-- not view them. I remember I was confused when I first saw that.

I'm with Tel on the storage advantage of the iPod, but since I rarely shoot in RAW format my 1 GB CF card does fine for me...

OP
E
Reaction score
I don't care if it lets me view them, obviously you can't since it's BW. Just Apple's site says the camera connector requires a photo ipod, and the ipod photo software to use. I just wanted to be 100% certain, thanks!

OP
E
Reaction score
How exactly are you doing this? I was just in the Apple store today and tried it out and it doesn't work at all. This was with a new Canon Elph 7.1mp camera. I took pictures, attached the connector and camera via USB and turned it on. The screen just shows the saved images. It should go black like when you connect it to a computer to transfer images but it doesn't. If I go to Photo Import on the iPod nothing happens, just says Photo Import and shows a blank screen. They said that it only works wtih iPod photo and when you plug the camera in and turn on the camera the iPod will automatically pop up saying do you want to import images. Mine doesn't do this, it's a brand new 20g bw ipod too. What do I need to do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.