System restore without cd drive

Reaction score
First, I apologize if this is in the wrong place, it's kind of a software AND hardware problem.

I need to do a system restore on my macbook, but here's the trick. I don't have a functioning cd drive. My computer is way past warranty of any kind, but I would still like to use it. I'm graduating college in two months, so it just needs to hang on til then. Does anyone have any advice?
OS is 10.5.8

Oh, and in case anyone wonders, I'm having a million issues with my macbook, which I got in 2007. I know it's old and outdated but I don't have the money for a new computer yet. My cd drive hasn't worked for about a year and there seems to be no fixing it- I've accepted that. (The worst part about that is the fact that I bought Microsoft Office 2008 over the summer, when the cd drive was working intermittently, but never got to install it because it completely crapped out. And my code on the back of the cd's isn't compatible with the trial version they offer online, so i totally wasted 80 bucks.) Almost every program I have installed freezes and I have to force quit. There are more problems than that, but it's irrelevant. I need this thing restored.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Look for a cheap external optical drive, USB is fine as Intel Macs are bootable from USB drives. Suggest if funds are really tight, look for a combo drive that will read DVD's and burn CD's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.