The problems with living in Jamaica...

Reaction score
Last chance for help,the "Mac-Forum".

OS 10.5.8
Macbook Pro

have spent the last 4 days on the phone with "technicians"from the ISP here in Jamaica.No success(One actually said"well,i think you need to see a professional!)...

Gentlemen(and ladies)..I would really appreciate anyone's suggestions as finding good technical help in Jamaica(especially mac)is difficult(impossible?)

Can receive emails,but not send.Yes,I am aware that there are a lot of posts regarding this issue and i have combed them all,nothing.
-I have deleted the email account and reset it also.
-I have checked that the SMTP settings are correct while talking to a technician

Details....
There are a few ISP here in Jamaica.I have been using Cable & Useless for some time and then left the island to work in Austria.Upon my return,my neighbour has had different ISP installed in his townhouse,a company called Flow.I picked up his signal and allowed me to surf the net etc as Cable & Useless had not been reinstalled(and it's cheaper for me to share the costs with him than both of us have two ISP).I recieved emails but could not send them.I called the C&Useless technician who told me it was Flow but nevertheless checked my settings,ports etc...all correct.I called the Flow guy,same thing.Spent three hours on the phone today.

Here's the strange thing.
When i click on Window>Connection Doctor a window opens with TWO accounts in it that scan to be checked.The top one(Incoming Server?)confirms in green that all is well and the bottom one(Outgoing Server?)fails to connect.Also,on this window there is a tab that states"Show Details" and then a sub-window appears.In this sub-window appears some very fine print:

socket:0x17bf4b70 -- thread:0x17bf5d30
+OK 2 messages
1 28974
2 28975

WROTE Oct 11 05:25:45.284 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.cwjamaica.com -- port:110 -- socket:0x17bf4b70 -- thread:0x17bf5d30
QUIT

READ Oct 11 05:25:45.395 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.cwjamaica.com -- port:110 -- socket:0x17bf4b70 -- thread:0x17bf5d30
+OK CommuniGate Pro POP3 Server connection closed

Now,i'm assuming that Wrote is outgoing(because it says Quit) and Read is incoming(because it says +OK).If this is correct,then why does the Outgoing Port select 110 automatically even though i have selected "Use Default Ports 25,467 or 587"?(Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Account Information>Outgoing Mail Server>Edit Server List>Advanced).

As i mentioned,I can surf the net and receive emails on the FLOW server,just not send.

Cable & Useless settings:
Incoming Port:110
Outgoing Port:25

Flow Settings:
Incoming Port:110
Outgoing Port:587(have also been told 125 and have tried that too).

If anyone can solve this conundrum i would be extremely appreciative.Or even ask a question that opens another door.....

regards,
BirdnDiz.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now you're double posting the same question...no need to do that. Just because you don't get immediate responses...many people may see your question...but may not respond because they don't have an answer.

Not many members on Mac-Forums from Jamaica (I think that there is one other active member from Jamaica).

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Now you're double posting the same question...no need to do that. Just because you don't get immediate responses...many people may see your question...but may not respond because they don't have an answer.

Not many members on Mac-Forums from Jamaica (I think that there is one other active member from Jamaica).

- Nick

Actually Nick,i had realised that i had originally posted in the incorrect forum and then went to delete it.Couldnt seem to delete it from the Apple Notebooks Forum where it doesnt belong.
Apologies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Okay, let's clarify a few points:

- You're using an email address provided by your old ISP "Cable & wireless"
- You access your email via Apple Mail
- You're using a new ISP to actually connect to the internet

Is that all correct?

It doesn't matter which ISP you're using, the email setting you need to use will not change for your old email address. So you still need to enter the "Cable & wireless" email servers in Mail, as that is where Mail is going to retrieve and send your emails, regardless of the actual ISP you're using.

Go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts and make sure that the C & W email account has the correct outgoing server selected and choose your port settings there again as well. Also check the authentication settings, if you have received those from C&W.

Alternatively, may I suggest setting up an ISP-independant email address? Sign up for Gmail, it will import all your old email and will continue to collect any email to your old address for you.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes,that is all correct.
The settings are all correct as recommended by c&w,as are the authentication settings.

The strange thing is,when i take my laptop to my wife's business(she has c&w wifi)the emails send no problem it is just when i am home and trying to use the FLOW wifi..
confused....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First up, go into System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS and make sure at least two IP addresses appear. These are known as Primary and Secondat addresses. If not there, contact your ISP and request them, and when you have them click on the little '+' button under DNS Servers and enter.

Next, try entering under Mail Preferences . Accounts, the server details as <securemailetc etc>

Be aware that most, if not all, ISP staff are familiar with PC's but have never actually done a things with Macs so you will have to solve this problem on your lon esome, as it were.

Keep us posted?

OP
B
Reaction score
First up, go into System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS and make sure at least two IP addresses appear. These are known as Primary and Secondat addresses. If not there, contact your ISP and request them, and when you have them click on the little '+' button under DNS Servers and enter.

Next, try entering under Mail Preferences . Accounts, the server details as <securemailetc etc>

Be aware that most, if not all, ISP staff are familiar with PC's but have never actually done a things with Macs so you will have to solve this problem on your lon esome, as it were.

Keep us posted?

there seems to b two IP adresse's there.

Not sur what you meant with "securemail"but under mail preferences the server details are as set out by the server...thanks for your efforts though.

its not all its cracked up to be,living here.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Last chance for help,the "Mac-Forum".

I was just thinking about your title..."The problems with living in Jamaica."

Yeah...you may have some ISP problems...but I think that you're forgetting about the positives of living in Jamaica...mon!!!;)

I don't think I have to list them!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay your incoming, and probably outgoing, mail server is listed under Mail Accounts in Mail Preferences as "mail.cwjamaica.com"

Amend this, both incoming and outgoing, to read

"securemail.cwjamaica.com'

Give it a try and see if there is any change.

OP
B
Reaction score
Okay your incoming, and probably outgoing, mail server is listed under Mail Accounts in Mail Preferences as "mail.cwjamaica.com"

Amend this, both incoming and outgoing, to read

"securemail.cwjamaica.com'

Give it a try and see if there is any change.

still no good Harry...thanks though.

I seriously think i'm going to have to buy a windows PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That may well be the best way out of your predicament. Not many ISP's are Mac enthusiast , though mine is and you might like to have a look at the set up pages or even ask their advise:-

http://www.internode.on.net/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i5 Macbook Pro
C&W may not permit sending email via their systems unless you are connected to them directly. If that's the case there isn't a lot you can do other than set up a new email account using gmail/hotmail/yahoo etc. and see if C&W will forward incoming mail to the new account for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Judging by this thread in another forum, it looks as though calamarain is right:
Flow blocks access to CwJamaica's smtp server? [Archive] - Tech Jamaica - Jamaica's Technology Portal Forums

I am not aware that the problem is related to Flow. As far as I know CWJ does not allow access to their SMTP server from another network. This was implemented when they switched their mail server to Communigate; it was to prevent spam relaying.

That's ridiculous. Every other email provider allows you to connect from any internet connection over SMTP.

Ditch that ridiculous email provider and switch to Gmail - if that's actually c&w's policy it is absurd.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.