Seagate external has lost my music!

Reaction score
please let there be someone online that can help me!

i have a seagate free agent 1TB hooked up and it just lost all my music. i wasnt even doing anything with it, i listened to a song about an hour ago then went back to it to listen to something else a few minutes ago and its all gone! all the other files on it are still there but the music has disappeared!

I have all the music saved on another hard drive in another computer but it would be so much more convenient to try and retrieve it from where ever it's vanished to

We only got this mac about 3 days ago so still getting used to it....please help!

*edited to amend the name of the HDD*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You didn't tell iTunes to consolidate your library by any chance?

OP
oPIXIEo
Reaction score
nope, All our itunes stuff is on another drive (raid set) and I havent touched the itunes settings.

from what i've been able to find out by googling, seagate free agent pros are pretty bad for losing stuff and/or going all screwed up.

We have it all backed up so thats not an issue, just really want to find out what caused it so we can try and avoid it happening again.

It's an NTFS drive but we are running NTFS MOUNTER to force the mac into giving read and write privilages, I'm wondering if that's maybe got something to do with it.

In case you havent guessed already I'm no computing expert lol and although my other half can build pc's and has a fair understanding of windows...we've only had this mac for under a week, it's all still very new and unfamiliar :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
nope, All our itunes stuff is on another drive (raid set) and I havent touched the itunes settings.

from what i've been able to find out by googling, seagate free agent pros are pretty bad for losing stuff and/or going all screwed up.

We have it all backed up so thats not an issue, just really want to find out what caused it so we can try and avoid it happening again.

It's an NTFS drive but we are running NTFS MOUNTER to force the mac into giving read and write privilages, I'm wondering if that's maybe got something to do with it.

In case you havent guessed already I'm no computing expert lol and although my other half can build pc's and has a fair understanding of windows...we've only had this mac for under a week, it's all still very new and unfamiliar :Confused:
Hmm, that sounds like a likely culprit, although it is surprising you say only all your music has disappeared. Normally I would expect it to be an all/nothing/random situation, not one specific file type.

If you're only using the drive with your Mac, HFS+ is probably your best bet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.