External speaker problem

Reaction score
I have a 24inch iMac, with sound stiks speakers. everything was fin till last night. i watched a movie, then went away, came back and the speakers would not work. there has always been some feed back with them on occasion, and recently they have seemed loose, once in a while i would set something on the desk and they would feed back. but now there is nothing. my speakers still work, i have plugged them into the my iphone and they work fine, so there fore it must be my computer. is there anyway of fixing this without taking it to the store. its kinda of a pain to pack up a 24 inch computer. any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried plugging anything else into the audio output jack to make sure it's working?

OP
R
Reaction score
there are 2 jacks.. one that is for headphones, the other i have always assumed was for the speakers. the headphone jack works when i put headphones in, but does not work when i plug in the speakers. the other one next to is doesnt work with headphones or speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you look into the jack, do you see a red light?

Most Macs have combined digital and analog audio jacks, so it's possible that your iMac is stuck in digital (optical) audio mode...

Try plugging and unplugging an audio cable a few times to see if that resolves it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
there are 2 jacks.. one that is for headphones, the other i have always assumed was for the speakers. the headphone jack works when i put headphones in, but does not work when i plug in the speakers. the other one next to is doesnt work with headphones or speakers.

The headphone jack is for "ALL" audio out. The one next to it doesn't work for either of them because it is for audio "in".

OP
R
Reaction score
I tried pluggin and unplugging the jack a few times and that seemed to do the trick. thanks for the tip. so much better than packing it up to the store.... thanks all for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.