Imac g5 video display problems?

Reaction score
It does it with mac os 10.4

here is a picture that i took

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa28/rei_wilder/Picture1.png

This imac is running a 500 gb hd, it was missing the hd when i got it, has 1gb of ram, could be 3rd party, is it the logic board, or perhaps the video gpu, also the mac keyboard will work, but the mouse will not, a non mac usb mouse will work, it makes no sense because the picture is perfect without the lines until the mac os starts up, I'm a pc guy, and am new to mac, I can't get help from apple since the hd was removed, and the warranty has been voided as posted it was like that when i bought it used, didn't realize it had been opened, also I am looking for a full retail version of mac os 10.5.1 to 10.5.8 thats not over $100, i think it's rediculus that tiger is cheap, leopard is expensive, and snow leopard is only $40, leopard is now outdated, and I dont think it should be over $50 used, according the the spec page 10.5.8 is the max g5 will take, unless it is wrong.

OP
T
Reaction score
delcidens20

also could the ram be doing of this?

please, anyone that knows please respond on this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post! Posting in one forum is enough. And, please be patient for an answer. Posting every 15 minutes is not going to get you an answer any sooner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Have you tried re-installing 10.4? That might help. Also, Leopard is expensive because it was the last OS for PowerPC G4 & G5 and Apple No longer sells it.

OP
T
Reaction score
also, the disc doesn't look legitimate that a friend of mines has used to install the os, could it be that the os is corrupted since it isn't a legitimate version possibly, if so I'm going to buy a copy of leopard, like I said I'm new to mac, and all seems well until it says now starting mac os x with the blue status bar then it starts to mess up? I googled some and think it could be a bad logic board or gpu, but that wouldnt make much sense, during other screens, such as the flashing folder, and install screen, the screen is fine. so it all makes no sense to me, I'm a pc user, and had to have my friend work on the imac to get it running, so maybe he's using a pirated copy of mac os, I know it isn't suppose to be discussed here, but I really want to know if this pc is worth keeping, as it is a nice and light weight pc, that is pretty darn powerful, but if need be that this thread be closed, could someone please give me some insight first?

OP
T
Reaction score
the flashing screen was before I found out it had been taking apart my friend installed the hd, he said the problem the whole time was someone removed the hard drive but now i got this problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the specs on the iMac G5? Does it have the iSight Camera? 20" LCD?

Reason I ask is a few with older iMac G5's with corruption on the screen had an issue with the LCD"s Cable where it plugs into the Logic board. There are 2 small screws holding it in the Jack on the board. In the case of the affected users, the contacts on the LCD's plug got dirty over time. Just unplugging the jack and plugging it back in the issue went away.

At first I thought you put in the new Hard Drive and was going to tell you to take it apart and check. The iSight G5 are a pain to take apart though.

If it's not the plug then it's either the LCD or Video Chipset on the main board since you ruled out OSX by reinstalling.

That LCD cable is very close to there the Hard Drive is By the way and the person who installed the hard drive could have bumped it. Like I said there are two very small screws holding the plug from the cable to the jack on the Logic Board.

Just a note, 10.5.8 Leopard is the newest OS a Power PC G5 will take. Snow Leopard is Intel Only. Also the reason why 10.5 has gone so high in price is the fact it's the last and latest OSX that will work on G4 and G5 Macs, so there is a large demand for it by owners of the Power PC Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Well... During the HD installation, a cable may have been slightly, disconnected/loosened. But then again it would probably mess up from startup/shutdown, now only when the desktop appears. *If you can manage to get there* Click the apple logo, "more info" "diagnostics" and see what it says for the power on self test. Pass or Fail?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The part that has me wondering is if it is the Plug being dirty like I mentioned above, why does it wait till the OS gets to the main screen? That sounds like a Video Chipset issue. I would still check to be sure as cleaning the jack is easy and would cost nothing.

OP
T
Reaction score
it is an A1058 17" 2.0 GHz, running a seagate 500 gb hd, and 2 gigs of ram which i do not know if it is 3rd party or not, it is not an Isight model

OP
T
Reaction score
i'll have to check that apple thing in the morning as I will have to borrow the mouse, but when i tell it yo restart shut down after an update, or just by doing it from the options it powers down fine, or do I still need to check that like you said? any guides or pics on where these screws/cable may be?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am pretty sure the 17" 2.0 iMac has that same plug and jack. You might check to be sure it's not the issue. Someone with the last iSight iMac like yours had that issue and it was what I described above.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a thick black cable (2 black cables together it looks like) that goes between where those two Fans are at the top and the hard drive. It ends at the plug at the top of the logic board. I have the service manual.

There is a gray cover over the two fans. If you remove that the cable should be clearly visible.

OP
T
Reaction score
that could be the problem since the fan cover was off, when it was opened, but why would it effect the os at log on and not other times? thats was is baffling me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.