Problem With Wireless Connection

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a college student living in an awesome amazing dorm room (not). About 50% of the time when I try to connect with a wireless connection I run into problems. Just to clarify before I get into the nity grity, my roommates PC does work with the wireless connection so I know that we do indeed have wireless access in our rooms.
I bought a Macbook just before the start of the school year, so I have the most up to date processing system. When trying to look up solutions on the internet I saw a lot of stuff about "Airport Express", I do not have this, and I did not buy any other special hardware for my Mac. But the utility I use to connect wirelessly is "Airport". Sometimes the wireless connection will work just fine with no problems, but then I will close my laptop, or turn it off completely and that is when I run into problems. When I get back, I wake my Mac from sleep or power it back on, and the connection won't work because Airport will no longer be "green", it will instead be "yellow" saying that it cannot find an IP address. I looked up a solution for this and found that if I turn off the "bridge" setting on my "Airport Utility" I will no longer run into this problem.
This is when it gets confusing for me. I open up my Airport Utility, and it begins to scan for wireless networks. After about 30 seconds of scanning it will tell me, "Airport Utility was unable to find any Airport Wireless devices. Make sure the Airport wireless device you want to set up is plugged in and in range of your computer, and then click rescan to try again." How can it not find any devices when I scan with the utility, but then still say that I'm connected to a wireless network? I tried going to
>File
>> Configure Other
then type in the IP address, along with the password, but it still says it cannot find it.
The only thing I can think of is that the router my college is using isn't an "Airport Wireless Device", and that is why I cannot find it to disable the "bridge" function. I was hoping that someone could at least give me some ideas as to what the problem might be, and maybe I could just fix it myself.
Thanks for any help you guys/gals can give me. This is by no means a thread to hate on Macs. I love mine to death and as a man I can say that if someone stole mine, I would cry.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum. And... if you need to add something to your original post, go back and edit it. Do not post a reply in lieu of an edit.

Reaction score
I have this exact same problem with my MacBook. I was going to start a thread about this but stumbled across this. I cant connect to the internet but everyone around me is connected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.