Washed my iPhone 4 today

Reaction score
My dear wife did a load of laundry while I was out. iPhone 4 was in my shorts pocket, and came out sparking clean. :Oops:

Put it in front of a hair dryer for 2 hours, charged it (it was dead before being washed).... crossed my fingers.... apple logo flickered.... and it started up! :eek:

Everything works! Screen is all watermarked, but at least I don't have to pay $500 to buy a new phone. ;P

Moral of the story... don't do what I did.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yea. I had to bite my tongue and not blame her. I was the one that left the darn thing in the pocket.

I just HATE it when I'm the only one to blame. :Not-Amused:

OP
C
Reaction score
After 24 hours, the water spot on the inside of the screen is completely gone, so I now highly recommend washing your iPhone 4. Plus, is smells lemony fresh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
That's funny. Glad it worked out for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Apples and Lemons - refreshing!

(Lucky escape there mate - jeez)

Reaction score
washed iPhone 4

I've joined the questionable club of very clean iPhone 4 users after leaving my phone in pants pockets and sending it for ride through the washer this morning.
So far here's the progress:
1. dried iPhone in very low heat warming oven about 120F) for a couple of hours. Then tried turning it on....nothing. So I plugged in the wall charger and up came the Apple logo followed by the initialization screen looking for iTunes, cycling through several languages. Impressive resilience so far. But the screen looks a bit unsharp, like there may some moisture in it. So,
2. now into a zip-lock bag with rice, and then back into 120F oven.

will check in on it in the morning and hope for the best. So far I 've seen plenty of reasons for optimism in the various postings.

Reaction score
washed iPhone 4 REVIVED

After sending myiPhone 4 through the washing machine as posted yesterday, I followed up by putting it in a ziplock bag of (dry) rice and putting the whole thing in warming oven at about 120F. It spent the afternoon and night drying out like this and when I checked it in the morning EVERYTHING SEEMS TO WORK FINE. No trace of problem with the screen which looks tack sharp. All the functions seem to work so far. Battery is about 1/2 but is charging fine.
I feel very lucky. Also grateful for the various postings that encouraged a positive approach.
Perhaps I'll even remember to check the pockets before washing stuff.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am not saying this to hurt anyone, but you guys are very LUCKY!

Be more careful in the future. That is a lot of $$$ to put in the washing machine! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.