Connect Wireless Router to Apple Extreme

J

jreinnoldt

I am in Bangkok in a serviced apartment that provides bband to all the units through Ethernet. We have two Mac Notebooks. One ("A") with airport card and ("B") with airport extreme. Both work fine when we are in the U.S. (using Comcast Cable). We only have problems at this apartment
==
Notebook A connects to D-Link 624 router/internet w/o any problems at all, both using airport and ethernet off the LAN port. Notebook has real problems. I can see the SSID in airport but I can never connect.

When I don't use the D-link router at all, (ethernet straight to the laptop) it is okay but I have to put in manual network settings that they provide me.

When I configure the network settings in Notebook "B" that is trying to connect through the router, should I (1) leave it as "automatic" with dynamic DHCP or (2) manually input the same settings? I can't get all of the combinations right, even when I set "B" EXACTLY the same was as I set up "A" (that works fine!)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
jreinnoldt said:
I am in Bangkok in a serviced apartment that provides bband to all the units through Ethernet. We have two Mac Notebooks. One ("A") with airport card and ("B") with airport extreme. Both work fine when we are in the U.S. (using Comcast Cable). We only have problems at this apartment
==
Notebook A connects to D-Link 624 router/internet w/o any problems at all, both using airport and ethernet off the LAN port. Notebook has real problems. I can see the SSID in airport but I can never connect.

When I don't use the D-link router at all, (ethernet straight to the laptop) it is okay but I have to put in manual network settings that they provide me.

When I configure the network settings in Notebook "B" that is trying to connect through the router, should I (1) leave it as "automatic" with dynamic DHCP or (2) manually input the same settings? I can't get all of the combinations right, even when I set "B" EXACTLY the same was as I set up "A" (that works fine!)

Thanks!

Leave the Network Settings as "Automatic."

Are you getting an error message? If so, what is it?

Does Notebook B connect to the internet when you connect its ethernet port to the router? You mentioned connecting the cable modem directly to Notebook B, but I couldn't tell if you tried going through ethernet directly to the router (i.e. no airport).

I would suggest checking to see if there's something going on with the router, like an access control list or WEP encryption. It could be that the router is limiting connections to certain MAC addresses or perhaps there's a WEP password that needs to be entered for you to connect wirelessly.

Good luck and let us know!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I can't get all of the combinations right, even when I set "B" EXACTLY the same was as I set up "A" (that works fine!)

Well if you give B the same IP address as A, you won't be able to log on, as each machine needs a distinct address.

Try changing the last digit on machine B to something else. (i.e. if mac A is 192.168.0.2 make mac B 192.168.0.3)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.