mini - DVI problems on Mac Mini PPC

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo. I bought it in 2006 and until recently was using it with an AOC monitor using the VGA adapter and the monitor's VGA input. I recently switched to a DVI-D cable connected to the monitor's DVI input. When it boots up the screen is blank and the display says "no signal". Yes, the monitor has the DVI input selected.

I discovered that if I press the Mac's power button (putting it into sleep mode) and then press it again (waking it up), the desktop displays on the screen just fine.

If the Mac can recognize the display on wakeup why can't it do so on boot?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, what brand and model is the monitor you are hooking the Mini to Via DVI? Is this still the AOC Display just now hooked up via DVI instead of VGA?

I have a friend with a Westinghouse 22" flat panel that refuses to work with his Mini Via DVI but the Mini works great on at least 5 other Flat Panel displays with DVI. Did a search and many were having issues with that same Westinghouse 22" and DVI even with some PC video cards! Worked great on VGA though.

This is such an old thread. It would have been better to start a new one.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Went ahead and moved it. Not really any point in having folks read through a 4 year old thread to get to a current post.

OP
C
Reaction score
Just curious, what brand and model is the monitor you are hooking the Mini to Via DVI? Is this still the AOC Display just now hooked up via DVI instead of VGA?

It is the same AOC model 2236Vw display, now hooked up via DVI-D instead of VGA.

I tried connecting the Mac to a different monitor using DVI-D and it works fine. So there's some problem with the AOC monitor when used with the Mac.

AOC's support doesn't acknowledge the existence of Macs, so I would suggest others avoid that brand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.