are there any ssh clients that still work on OS 9?

Reaction score
Are there any ssh clients that still work on OS 9?

The story: I just bought a used orange iMac from way back when. Someone in the neighborhood was selling theirs for $25. I remember when these things were more like $1200 and highly coveted.

I had thought about installing Linux on it, but when I booted it up and saw the smiling mac, then the Finder with the old system font and the rainbow apple in the upper left corner, that plan went straight out the window.

Seems to be working well enough on my LAN at work. I downloaded a browser called Classilla that seems adequate.

But...I can't seem to get an SSH client to work on it. I've tried NiftyTelnet, MacSSH and something called MacSFTP. No dice. So...my original question.

Any advice or suggestions much appreciated.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Take a look at this. It mentions two of the SSH clients you listed but it has instructions if you get stuck or find it's not working.

OP
C
Reaction score
Take a look at this. It mentions two of the SSH clients you listed but it has instructions if you get stuck or find it's not working.

Quick reply appreciated. I had viewed that page and tried everything on it. Perhaps I'll try again in case I skipped a step.

Reaction score
Download the last Netscape browser for OS9..Netscape 7. See if that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.