• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

my GF brings home a Pee Cee ahhhh

C

code777

Well my GF is issued an HP NC6000 at work and now she wants to bring it home and hook it up to our wireless network. Now I was curious, when doing this will my Macs be at risk?

Also is it wise not to use a company laptop for personal use at home?? It has XP Pro and I assume it is kinda locked down.

Thanks for the comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
your mac should be fine... and if its a company computer and shes allowed to use it... whats the harm?

OP
C

code777

well in my company i know they *sometimes* do spot checks on various laptops.

but i mean wouldn't they want to restrict what people do on a company computer? or is it like a free for all.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
My company also, does stop checks. Also if they are using virual pivate networks. Then they do limit what you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
it allows you to connect to the company network from home or any where else that has an internet connection.

OP
B

badmojo

Not a bad little laptop. Save for the 802.11b connection. Hey, 'free is free'.

OP
C

code777

badmojo said:
Not a bad little laptop. Save for the 802.11b connection. Hey, 'free is free'.

well i assume someone from her work needs to supply her with a logon ID and password to hook up to the VPN or whatever. We can't get it connected to my network. I'm not that great with XP as I've been using Macs for a while now. ideas? or does she need to wait for someone to give her the ID and password.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
She will need DHCP turned on first. Which will put her on the local network. Then She will need a user id and pass word for VPN, to access her work network (which she should have already).

OP
C

code777

what about just using it so that she is not going onto the company network. Like just "home" use or is this not possible.

edit - nevermind it won't let you go into Network Connections. its locked down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
that is possible you just have to set up DHCP like rman said so that it can recieve an ip address. Then you will be on the internet, and that is how you can access the company network from the house.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.