Eclipse IDE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
Hey, I'm trying to get away from using windows at all. So I thought I would give eclipse ago for C++ development. Only problem is when I go to debug a program it says binary not found.

Got an aluminium unibody macbook 13" running snow leopard.

Any ideas?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For straight C++ development..I would recommend going the XCode route..it's a freely available tool and a lot more "integrated" and stable than Eclipse..

Regards

OP
eddielee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I think I may give it ago. But if anyone does know why it dosnt work please let me know. Thanks

OP
eddielee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you know when xcode4 is out? I have a developer account so I can get the preview, but I wondered if theres a date yet?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No idea but I will comment on the Eclipse problem. If you're getting a no binary error, it may be because you haven't given Eclipse the path to the debugger and other tools (which would have been installed with Xcode). I'm not familiar with the Eclipse C++ tools but check to see if there is an option in the preferences to set your compiler and debugger.

OP
eddielee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, well that explains alot lol. I used app zapper to remove xcode before I installed eclipse.. hadnt realised it needed it. I'll reinstall it and see how it goes.
Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just a hint - Xcode comes with an uninstaller (/Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools). If you're going to remove Xcode, use that.

You don't need Xcode itself but you need the compiler, libraries, headers and other tools that come with the Xcode dev tools. So, if you just removed the Xcode app itself, you're probably okay. That said, I don't know what you have and haven't removed and you may very well have a broken install if you only removed certain parts of the dev tools. As such, I suggest you reinstall them.

OP
eddielee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used app Zapper to remove it. I use it for most things on recommendation from a friend. I have reinstalled it now and its working. Thank you

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apps like AppZapper are fine for applications that are not installed through an installer. If an application is installed through an installer, check to see if there is an included uninstaller. There is a reason that some apps are distributed with an installer so be careful with how you uninstall them.

OP
eddielee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wasn't aware of that... Okay thanks, I'll watch what im zapping in the future :)

Reaction score
Need Help Directing to Compiler

Forgive me for digging up an old thread but I am attempting to run the Eclipse IDE for C++ on my Mac with Snow Leopard. I do NOT have xCode and from what I have read I do not want or need it. I understand I can go about downloading and installing this but would really like an answer to my question before potentially taking that step. I have downloaded a separate compiler which extracted into a /usr/local folder that I have placed on my desktop along with Eclipse because I don't know what to do with it. The /local/ folder contains the following:
bin
include
lib
libexec

When I attempted to compile my code the first time I was receiving errors of g++ and gcc not found in PATH. I have spent hours searching for how to resolve the issue but am not very confident (or at all familiar) with UNIX and do not understand the workings of such a file. From what I understand the computer has to be directed to the g++ and gcc files within the /usr/local/bin folder so that it can compile the code I put into the Eclipse editor ("workbench").
If anyone is aware of what I'm missing or how this can be done then please feel free to enlighten me. I would love to be able to write and build c++ code within my Mac OS without booting into Windows so I can run Visual Studio. I am going through all this trouble for a class in school so please save me the headache!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Download the Command Line Tools package from Apple (here - you'll need to register an account). That will have everything you need. Install that and all the links and files will be setup for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.