mini + ssd = worth it?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a mac mini 1,1 that has served me very well over the years. I have begun doing more work in CS4 lately and find that my performance degrades very quickly. I have the maximum amount of memory (2 GB) and replaced the cpu with a 2.33 ghz core2duo, but the system still hangs when switching applications.

What I'm noticing now is that when I'm working I have 7 or more swap files at peak usage. When I switch from photoshop to illustrator it feels like my entire 2 GB of memory is being swapped out and all I can do is wait for the system to catch up.

What I'm wondering is would a ssd would help with switching the swap files faster? I've heard that ssd performance is most noticeable when booting or shutting down, but what about performance at peak memory usage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
A SSD will definitely speed things up. Personally though, if a decent SSD is about $300 or so, I'd just buy a used newer Mini for $500~$600. More RAM is really the solution to your issue. IMHO

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.