Why put all the USB ports on the back of the iMac?

Reaction score
So we got a new iMac recently (our PowerMac G5 broke down...). Anyways, it seems like a great computer, but I don't understand why Apple decided to put all the USB ports on the back. Granted, it is only a temporary frustration to hook up a printer (you only have to hook it up once), but it is very inconvenient, to regularly plug-in, then take out a memory stick.

My 'solution' is not to use a memory stick, i.e. I transfer stuff via a network (we also have a MacBook)...but it still seems absurd to make it so difficult to hook up a memory stick.

Was this purely an aesthetic decision? Or Is Apple trying to encourage people to buy a USB hub?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I'm going on a limb here and going to say it's aesthetic. The iMac is elegant and beautiful, so a random USB port on the front or side would probably seem a bit off balance. But I totally agree, it sucks having to get up, twist the iMac a little and then trying to get a USB plug in. But I guess I'm willing to deal with that.

I have a card reader, wacom tablet, iPhone dock, printer, cable for my iPad, mini USB cord for small external drives etc... So I was looking for a way to consolidate all of that and remove some of the clutter on my desk, and in my search I found the Griffin Simplifi. It's an iPod/iPhone dock, card deader and a USB hub all in one. Now when ever I need to connect something USB to my iMac, I can just plug it into my Simplifi that seats next to my iMac which is much easier to access then the back of my iMac. The only thing that sucks about it is that the USB hub is not 10v, which is what the iPad needs to charge, so i just charge that else where but I can still connect it to the Simplifi via a cord to sync it.

Griffin Technology: Simplifi - Charge/Sync dock, media card reader, and USB hub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
You think that's bad? The iMac G4 has all of it's usb ports on the back, at the bottom of the case, and extremely close together to the other ports. Gotta say, definitely not easy access.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm going on a limb here and going to say it's aesthetic. The iMac is elegant and beautiful, so a random USB port on the front or side would probably seem a bit off balance.

I agree...this would be my guess as well. A cable & port clutter-free front view appearance of the computer.

@mhandelman1: Believe me I understand the convenience of the front USB port(s) on the Powermac G5 & Mac Pro's!:) Also...maybe Apple figured it's easier to pivot the iMac 90 degrees to insert USB cables on an iMac...than it is to crawl under your desk (in the dark under there) to get to the back of a Powermac G5 or Mac Pro to plug in a USB device.

A solution for the memory stick on your iMac could be to purchase a small USB hub (with a very short cable)...or get a USB extension cable.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
We all know appearance played a huge role in the design of the iMac, but a couple in the bottom would have been a wonderful addition. Out of sight, maintains the symmetry, and still very accessible.

C

chas_m

The answer to the question put by the OP is "because those ports are for things that are not routinely disconnected."

The wired keyboard provides two additional USB ports for things that ARE routinely disconnected, like cameras.

If you find this insufficient, you're the target market for a USB hub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
The answer to the question put by the OP is "because those ports are for things that are not routinely disconnected."

The wired keyboard provides two additional USB ports for things that ARE routinely disconnected, like cameras.

If you find this insufficient, you're the target market for a USB hub.
Well the new iMac's dont have wired keyboards anymore. But you can always get one for 49.00

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - Apple Store (U.S.)

I wonder what the power output of the two usb ports are. The iPad requires more then the normal 5v to charge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The new iMacs come with the wireless keyboard which doesn't have USB ports. I would have agreed with you if it were not for that. Apple's past keyboards did have USB ports so this wasn't really an issue until the wireless keyboards became standard. Although there was a downside with the USB keyboard ports. They didn't provide enough power for some energy hungry USB devices.

edited: TomTom beat me to it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.