Diary of a new Mac user (week 1)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 2.8 GHz
I have now had my iMac for slightly over one week, but really have probably used it less than a week because it was in the Apple store having data transferred for 2 days and the first couple of days I didn't even have a chance to set it up. I thought I would give a little summary of my thoughts so far:

My system:

Refurbished iMac i7 2.8 ghz (Late 2009) w/ 4 gig of RAM and a 2TB hard drive. I also got the extended USB keyboard.

Impressions:

I had some reservations about screen size when I ordered the system, but the 27" turned out not to look too big at all and I adjusted to it very quickly. The potential for glare was also a concern, but so far it has turned out to be a non-issue in my work environment. Bottom line is I really like the screen.

I have been trying to use the Mac exclusively while at home even though my PC is still hooked up next to it for the moment. I am adjusting to the Mac but it is going to take some time to get comfortable with it. Using a PC feels like wearing an old shoe by comparison and I could just get things done more effortlessly when I used it. I have my moments when I feel like I would have been better off just getting a Windows 7 machine, but I think that will pass as I get more familiar with the Mac operating system and continue to discover all of the benefits of the Mac. This said, there are some things that do seem more intuitive and more fun to do on the Mac. For now, I do not want to put Windows on the Mac as I want to see if it is possible for me to be satisfied in a Mac-only environment.

I have only been using the software that came on the Mac so far -- the iLife suite plus iWork and really haven't done very much more than familiarizing myself with options and preferences, internet surfing, playing music on iTunes and casually looking through some of the other applications like iPhoto and Garage Band. It may be for this reason that I don't yet notice much performance benefit on the new Mac than from my 6+ year old Pentium 4 3 ghz PC, except that a few programs initially open up more quickly. This startled me at first and caused me to wonder if I really had needed to replace my computer and if I may have purchased much more computer than I really needed, as my needs are fairly moderate. I expect as I start recording audio, working with photo editing and ripping CDs/converting DVDs, for example I will see the performance benefits more. (honestly, the refurb i7 seemed too good of a deal to pass up when compared to buying, for example, a new i5 which would have cost more money.

The biggest concern I have is that, as I mentioned in another post, the hard drive is making some noise that I am not used to hearing and that I find a little annoying. I know there is nothing "wrong" with the drive and it really isn't very loud, but it is pretty quiet where I have my computer and I can hear the hard drive "working" when I open programs, scroll through web pages, etc. I have read about this in posts by others and some people have even returned their computers (in some cases multiple times) because they are trying to get a more quiet machine. I admit to having given this some consideration myself, but it would be a royal pain and I am otherwise very happy with the computer. One also never knows what I could get in exchange.

Anyway, that's sort of the state of the situation at this point. Sorry for the long post, but I thought maybe some other newbies might find something to relate to in my experience. Comments and encouragement are always welcome ;).

Now I'm off to learn some new tricks and tips from David Pogue's Mac OS X "The Missing Manual"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Refurbished iMac i7 2.8 ghz (Late 2009) w/ 4 gig of RAM and a 2TB hard drive.

Nice and congats on the new purchase.

This startled me at first and caused me to wonder if I really had needed to replace my computer and if I may have purchased much more computer than I really needed, as my needs are fairly moderate.

Remember though that people buying a Mac are buying one for
a) The OS. The beauty of it and ease of use. The constant no freezing or infections.
b) the aesthetically good looks of them.

The biggest concern I have is that, as I mentioned in another post, the hard drive is making some noise that I am not used to hearing and that I find a little annoying.

If you can take it into the geniuses and have them look at it. I have been surprised by my new 13" MBP and the *quietness* of the drive. It is so much quieter than my 13" Whitebook and my windows PC's. If its loud it could have other underlying factors and a failure could be imminent .......

OH and because of this BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

I admit to having given this some consideration myself,

Even though if it still persists, it i would be getting someone to look at it as i said ^^ above mine is quiet to the point of it being silent .... BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

Now I'm off to learn some new tricks and tips from David Pogue's Mac OS X "The Missing Manual"

It is a good book but as other have stated in this thread Best way to learn the Mac OS X is time and learn as you go. Then if you have specific ??'s then pop in use the Search Function or start a thread and ask...

All in all welcome to the Mac community and the world of Steve, enjoy learn and input where you can :)

Cheers

C

chas_m

The biggest concern I have is that, as I mentioned in another post, the hard drive is making some noise that I am not used to hearing and that I find a little annoying. I know there is nothing "wrong" with the drive and it really isn't very loud, but it is pretty quiet where I have my computer and I can hear the hard drive "working" when I open programs, scroll through web pages, etc.

As was mentioned in the other thread, the "problem" is that on your PC you have become so used to the "white noise" of the fan that it masks the sound of the hard drive working. Now that you're not hearing a fan much, you can actually hear the drive (because you are in a quiet room).

I think that once you start really working with the Mac and getting used to it, this noise will also "fade" into the background, particularly once you start playing with audio.

If it continues to bother you after a month, I'd make a bootable clone of your entire HD to an external, then take the iMac to the nearest Apple store, explain the situation and have them change out the hard drive for one they think will be quieter (I like Hitachi drives for this). Depending on whether they agree that the drive is louder than normal, they MAY do this for free or they MAY charge you, but having them (or an independent Mac dealer) do it will preserve the warranty.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 2.8 GHz
Thanks. You are probably right that I will get used to it over time. Even now I don't really notice it unless there is no other ambient noise. I know that I do tend to be hyper-sensitive to sounds.

It's interesting that you mention liking Hitachi drives for being quiet, because that is what is in my computer.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I also have a refurb'ed i7 27' iMac and couldn't be happier with it..the HD noise is more noticeable here because it's very close to you..and even then it should be a fairly subtle sound and not harsh at all..

I cut my teeth with a Mac with a 2006 Mac Mini and when I found myself using the Mac WAY more than my Linux/Windows PC, I decided to fully switch over..and now I use Linux through VirtualBox for some work related stuff..best of both worlds..:)

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.