• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Would you work for minimum wage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Working or not working (in normal times--a lot of people out of work right now who would rather work) is a choice. How much you earn, minimum wage or much higher, depends on personal circumstance.

It is a choice for some people. But for others there is no choice. It's take the low wages or do not work and starve. It's not easy for everyone to get a job. And when you have a job, even a low paying one you keep it and hold on to it. Cause if you loose it, the next one will be very had to get.

So would I work for minimum wage? If it meant that or no work, then heck yes I would. The bills need to be paid whether I am working or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Undoubtedly yes. I don't like the way people live off of the benefits system here (which is too generous by far), and I would rather work 60 hours at minimum wage if needs be.
As it stands I don't earn huge amounts anyway, but we have a comfortable life, own our house (with mortgage) and I have enough toys to play with.
As long as I could continue to provide for the family, then there is no question.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It is a choice for some people. But for others there is no choice. It's take the low wages or do not work and starve. It's not easy for everyone to get a job. And when you have a job, even a low paying one you keep it and hold on to it. Cause if you loose it, the next one will be very had to get.

So would I work for minimum wage? If it meant that or no work, then heck yes I would. The bills need to be paid whether I am working or not.

I tried to word my post in a way that wouldn't offend anyone being squeezed by economic necessity but I may not have been totally successful.
I respect anyone who chooses to work rather than take hand-outs. And, I know it's not universally true, but in this country very few who have chosen not to work end up starving.
I don't want to see anyone go hungry, but there is a lot of wisdom in "if they won't work they don't eat".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
I work minimum wage at a car wash squeegeeing windows (pun not intended). It’s incredibly easy, and is definitely worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I tried to word my post in a way that wouldn't offend anyone being squeezed by economic necessity but I may not have been totally successful.
I respect anyone who chooses to work rather than take hand-outs. And, I know it's not universally true, but in this country very few who have chosen not to work end up starving.
I don't want to see anyone go hungry, but there is a lot of wisdom in "if they won't work they don't eat".

I see your point. But you should have asked the question this way.
"If you had the choice would you work in a job you loved for minimum wage or a job you utterly hated every second of for a very good wage?"

And secondly I've many documentaries on the US. And they don't have an unlimited employment scheme like other western countries (UK and Australia come to mind). As far as I have seen, unemployment there is a limited time thing when you're on the streets without a penny. On one of these doco's I saw the people living in the large sewers under the strip in Las Vegas. Sure it's only a small percentage of the population but it's there.

Here in Australia everyone can get unemployment for as long as they want. Sure you have to do things to keep it, like proof of constantly looking for a job etc etc. But it's there cause we don't want anyone living below the poverty line.

I think this whole topic is about if you had the choice would you take it? A lot of people do not have the choice. But even those people can dream right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I see your point. But you should have asked the question this way.
"If you had the choice would you work in a job you loved for minimum wage or a job you utterly hated every second of for a very good wage?"

And secondly I've many documentaries on the US. And they don't have an unlimited employment scheme like other western countries (UK and Australia come to mind). As far as I have seen, unemployment there is a limited time thing when you're on the streets without a penny. On one of these doco's I saw the people living in the large sewers under the strip in Las Vegas. Sure it's only a small percentage of the population but it's there.

Here in Australia everyone can get unemployment for as long as they want. Sure you have to do things to keep it, like proof of constantly looking for a job etc etc. But it's there cause we don't want anyone living below the poverty line.

I think this whole topic is about if you had the choice would you take it? A lot of people do not have the choice. But even those people can dream right?

Good point. Our current administration is working on creating a nanny state though. I'm sure that given enough time on the current course, the dream of the "Workers Paradise" will be realized.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And secondly I've many documentaries on the US. And they don't have an unlimited employment scheme like other western countries (UK and Australia come to mind). As far as I have seen, unemployment there is a limited time thing when you're on the streets without a penny. On one of these doco's I saw the people living in the large sewers under the strip in Las Vegas. Sure it's only a small percentage of the population
I agree things like that happen in the US and elsewhere, and it's gut wrenching when you see. But, my wife and I worked (non paid counselors) in a drug and alcohol intervention ministry for seven years. Normally (not always) when people are reduced to sleeping in the streets it's because their addiction has devastated their lives.

Regardless, I hope you get to work in a job you love and get paid very well for it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 4GB, 1TB HDD, quad-core
I couldn't live off minimum wage... It just wouldn't allow me to live the life I want. I'm not materialistic but I have a certain level of comfort I need to achieve - not to mention the whole world I am yet to see and travel takes money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Actually, m-w in Ontario is $10.50... I don't pay for health care.. When I'm talking about health benefits, I'm talking about my insurance through my work.

I make a decent amount of cash, clost to $22000/year.

It's not anything to be excited about, but I can pay my bills, and still have a bit left for myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Pro 2.26, 4GB Ram, 160GB HD, WD 2TB, 24" ACD. iPad 64GB 3G. iPhone 4 32GB Unlocked.
Back in the day when I was in the Military I technically worked for LESS than minimum wage, even then...

That may have been the case years ago in the Military, I don't think it's really the case now. Unless you try to factor in the "you're in the Military 24 hrs a day" If I factor in all of my benefits (except for health care which is an unknown amount since I don't get it in my check) AND I were to factor in the 24 hour rule, I make roughly $8.30 per hour at 24 hrs 7 days a week......you do the math.....

Shawn

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That may have been the case years ago in the Military, I don't think it's really the case now. Unless you try to factor in the "you're in the Military 24 hrs a day" If I factor in all of my benefits (except for health care which is an unknown amount since I don't get it in my check) AND I were to factor in the 24 hour rule, I make roughly $8.30 per hour at 24 hrs 7 days a week......you do the math.....

Shawn

That's like minimum wage in California. Even with 8.50 an hour that's not going to pay for rent which is 1k+ in most of SoCal. You can find cheaper but it's shady >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree things like that happen in the US and elsewhere, and it's gut wrenching when you see. But, my wife and I worked (non paid counselors) in a drug and alcohol intervention ministry for seven years. Normally (not always) when people are reduced to sleeping in the streets it's because their addiction has devastated their lives.

Regardless, I hope you get to work in a job you love and get paid very well for it. :)

I agree. A lot of the people without a home caused that situation to themselves. I hear you there.
And I work in a job I love. I get paid terribly for it. But honestly I don't really care. I like what I do and that's the most important thing.

You are in the military 24/7 yes. But you don't work for the military 24/7. You're not paid to sleep or eat. You're paid to train and go fight wars and similar things. You can't exactly fall asleep on the battlefield and say "Sir it's ok I'm paid to sleep to you know". It just doesn't work that way.

But that's the difference between a wage and a salary. People like those in the military and others get their salary and have to do unpaid overtime. Just part of the job. But you get benefits too.

Us wage earners though get a low wage but every second of overtime must be be paid. And at higher rates for holidays or double shifts etc etc. So either way yeah we're screwed over. But we must feed ourselves and our families (if you have a family you provide for, I do not).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Normally (not always) when people are reduced to sleeping in the streets it's because their addiction has devastated their lives

I agree. A lot of the people without a home caused that situation to themselves.

A little off topic but i need to jump in here.
Yes in a way they may have. BUT what we have to remember is ADDICTION is a disease. And a terrible terrible one at that. It is in a way there fault but once it has got them it is so bloody hard to get out of that whirlwind. Governments of the world NEED to realise this also... I have been so very close to the addiction world and its so close to my life. You need to help those people out as much as you can, EVEN though you might think it not warranted. You need to be cruel to be kind BUT you have to stand by your guns and not give in.
I could go on all night about it, bc as i said its very close to me but i wont as i know it is a touchy subject to some.

Just remember it IS a DISEASE

You are in the military 24/7 yes. But you don't work for the military 24/7. You're not paid to sleep or eat. You're paid to train and go fight wars and similar things. You can't exactly fall asleep on the battlefield and say "Sir it's ok I'm paid to sleep to you know". It just doesn't work that way.

Umm ill stop you right there. That is so untrue. You are working for the military 24/7. Yes it doesnt look like it to the outside world, BUT the restrictions they place on you, put you in there world.

Like being told "you cant go out and drink tonight BC your on 24-36hrs notice" which in Military terms means, anytime in those 24-36hrs you COULD be called out to war/exercise. If you have had a drink within 24hrs they wont issue you with a weapon. So when i have knocked off at 4pm and get that from the CO you then realise your in there control 24/7

But you get benefits too.

And they really dont amount to a great deal.
Free medical and dental, with subsidised Accom/Meals. SUBSIDISED i paid $138 F/N for my room and board. So its not reall free, and if i didnt hurt myself at all in the year, there goes THAT medical benifit.

Its not all its cracked up to be. Yes i was a proud soldier, but bloody glad im not anymore. They treat you like crap really. 16 yrs on im still fighting for my DVA pension bc they injured me and wont admit to it.... Sucks yes

End rant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Pro 2.26, 4GB Ram, 160GB HD, WD 2TB, 24" ACD. iPad 64GB 3G. iPhone 4 32GB Unlocked.
Umm ill stop you right there. That is so untrue. You are working for the military 24/7. Yes it doesnt look like it to the outside world, BUT the restrictions they place on you, put you in there world.

Like being told "you cant go out and drink tonight BC your on 24-36hrs notice" which in Military terms means, anytime in those 24-36hrs you COULD be called out to war/exercise. If you have had a drink within 24hrs they wont issue you with a weapon. So when i have knocked off at 4pm and get that from the CO you then realise your in there control 24/7

And they really dont amount to a great deal.
Free medical and dental, with subsidised Accom/Meals. SUBSIDISED i paid $138 F/N for my room and board. So its not reall free, and if i didnt hurt myself at all in the year, there goes THAT medical benifit.

Its not all its cracked up to be. Yes i was a proud soldier, but bloody glad im not anymore. They treat you like crap really. 16 yrs on im still fighting for my DVA pension bc they injured me and wont admit to it.... Sucks yes

End rant

Agreed! Since I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan, and end up getting calls in the middle of the night I pretty much do consider myself working 24 Hrs.

Now, when not deployed, it's pretty much a 6AM to 6PM (give or take) 5 day a week job. But, I still end up with 24 hour shifts a few days a month and occasional calls in the middle of the night to pick up a soldier that gets in trouble or whatever.

So, when not deployed, counting all my benefits (base pay, housing, food, cost of living allowance, ETC) working on average 60 hours a week, I guess I get about $20 an hour, which is easily over the national minimum wage.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the Military and the pay, I've been at it over 12years.

Shawn

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just remember it IS a DISEASE . . . ..End rant
Agreed. I never met anyone in seven years trying to help in recovery who had gone out looking to have their life destroyed by addiction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just remember it IS a DISEASE
I see your point and you argued it so well. And in a way I agree with you.

I know all of this. My father was in the military for 20 years. And I know exactly how it works. And heck many jobs won't let you work unless you have been sober for 16 or 24 hours. Many professional athletes are fined if they have a hangover or have drunk anything in the last 24 hours before a training session or game. And in my industry, if you've drunk anything within a certain time period before your next shift they can not allow you to work the shift. And many other jobs too. The military is not unique in this aspect.

but bloody glad im not anymore. They treat you like crap really. 16 yrs on im still fighting for my DVA pension bc they injured me and wont admit to it.... Sucks yes
I agree the government should to more for those who risk their lives for their country. But they do not. So very sad and disgraceful. They deserve better.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just wanted to poll everyone here. The cost of living keeps going up everywhere, but the minimum wage is still low all over the country.

Most companies these days are looking for cheap labor and even some desk jobs pay minimum wage.

Would you work at minimum wage? Or have you ever worked at minimum wage? Share you experiences...

Why? What does this have to do with the Mac or Apple products in general?

I know it's an off-topic forum and we do have occasional fun threads that veer wildly off-topic, but that's usually the domain of forum regulars that we've come to know.

This sounds to me more like you're soliciting from our members for some kind of research. If that's true, just be up front about it, instead of behaving disingenuously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's like minimum wage in California. Even with 8.50 an hour that's not going to pay for rent which is 1k+ in most of SoCal. You can find cheaper but it's shady >_>"

How does a place like California have a min wage of $8.50?

I didn't expect America to have such a small min wage :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
How does a place like California have a min wage of $8.50?

I didn't expect America to have such a small min wage :|

I live in Florida where it's even lower, Either way I don't think there should even be a minimum wage. I believe in the free market, As little Government regulation and oversight as possible, Oh BTW I'm a Government employee too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might end up with Asian type sweatshops if it was completely free :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.