Mac Piano Keyboard

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Mac piano keyboard they recommend for someone who wants to learn?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Does anyone have a Mac piano keyboard they recommend for someone who wants to learn?

What is a "Mac piano keyboard"? I don't think they sell these.;)

I think maybe what you mean to say is...what do folks recommend in terms of:

- electronic keyboards/controllers
- software programs
- and any necessary interface hardware

...or basically the question to folks could be..."What do I need to learn piano on a Mac"?

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I have an Oxygen keyboard (M-Audio), which unfortunately must stay in Budapest.... If you lived there I'd tell my wife to ship it to you since it's not getting any use. :'( Bought it from Guitar Center for about $100 and works great. Keys are weighted and the unit is entirely programmable. Can't remember the specific model number, I'll have to ask my wife that one later.

Doug

OP
Arielluria
Reaction score
Doug_b thanks, I've heard of that one. You're very generous too!

pigoo3, you're funny! And your avatar is adorable!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Depending on how serious you want to be about learning, become a two-handed player, etc, if you do go for the Oxygen model, I'd recommend the 61-key (4.5 octaves). It costs more though - US$250.

My personal preference (as an ex keyboard teacher) would be Roland, eg. PCR-M80 Roland U.S. - PCR-M80: USB MIDI Keyboard Controller (for table-top); or maybe something like this Roland FP-5 Digital Piano :: Overview for real piano feel.

Just about any el keyboard with midi interface can be connected to your Mac. There are adaptors like the UX16 Yamaha UX16 USB MIDI interface - connect keyboard to computer.

OP
Arielluria
Reaction score
Thanks hughvane! Very helpful response! It's good to start cheaper and upgrade if the student is serious about learning. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.