Boot Camp quit, HD space missing

Reaction score
Hello,
Recently I ran bootcamp in the hopes to run Windows 7. I ran bootcamp and partitioned it for 20GB for Windows. During the partition, my computer restarted and when it booted back up, 20GB were gone as I expected, but there is no separate partition shown anywhere on my macHD. I have tried booting from the OSX install disc(I'm running Leopard) and going to Disk Utility -> Repair Disc, it repaired the disc, and still I'm missing 20gb of space. It clearly states that there is only 42gb of available space on the First Aid menu of Disc Utility, yet when I go to the partition menu of Disc Utility, it shows that there is 62gb available of free space. Any tips? I really don't want to have to reformat my whole drive if necessary.

Thanks for the help.

OP
L
Reaction score
I do want to run windows, but I also want to get my 20gb of space back. When I go into boot camp assistant, it is as if boot camp has no idea I even partitioned part of the hd. It only gives me the option to partition more of the hd.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm a bit confused here.... you first partitioned the disk using the Boot Camp assistant and had it allocate 20 GB. Did you then insert your Windows 7 DVD and allow the BC assistant to reboot and proceed with the installation? In other words, did you follow the BC assistant instructions?

From your original post it sounds like you ran the BC assistant to partition the hard drive but did not proceed with the installation of Win 7? Please clarify exactly what it is you did so we can possibly provide a solution.

OP
L
Reaction score
I didn't install Windows 7. My hard drive as of now is missing 20gb of space that I had allocated to Bootcamp. When I originally ran bootcamp, during the partitioning of the drive in Bootcamp it froze and I had to force quit bootcamp. Now when my mac restarted I had 20gb less space, but when I go to bootcamp assistant, it asks me to partition my drive again, making it seem as if I had never run bootcamp on my mac before. The 20gb originally allocated have seeming vanished and arent anywhere to be found.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you had provided that info first, we could have helped you sooner. The only way you're going to gain that 20 GB back is to use Disk Utility from your install DVD and erase the drive and reinstall. Be sure you make a backup first with Time Machine. You won't lose anything if you have a good TM backup.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yeah, you've definitely got a bad partition map. I'd be inclined to run fsck from Single User mode as described in Step 9 of this guide:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/93819-basic-os-x-mac-troubleshooting.html

Once you've got a clean bill of health (and a good backup), my next step would be to attempt another partitioning with Boot Camp Assistant. Give it 10GB, reboot and when you get back into OS X, run BCA again and this time revert back to a single volume.

No guarantees or anything, just something to try before tac-nuking it from orbit.

Reaction score
adoptor giverna

Yeah, you've definitely got a bad partition map. I'd be inclined to run fsck from Single User mode as described in Step 9 of this guide:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/93819-basic-os-x-mac-troubleshooting.html

Once you've got a clean bill of health (and a good backup), my next step would be to attempt another partitioning with Boot Camp Assistant. Give it 10GB, reboot and when you get back into OS X, run BCA again and this time revert back to a single volume.

No guarantees or anything, just something to try before tac-nuking it from orbit.

Just wanted to express my thanks for this. I was having the same problem because I stupidly quit out of Boot Camp Assistant in the middle. I actually didn't need to go through bootcamp again, fsck did the trick itself. The missing disk space is back!

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.