Finder Sidebar has disappeared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Hello,

I have had an app called Total Finder installed, they recently did an update, which caused me to have sidebar problems. I have since deleted this app, because I couldn't work without my sidebar.
After deleting the app, and re-launching finder, I now have no sidebar, no options, search box or back buttons in my finder window, and my folders open in new windows when the 'always open folders in new windows' box is unticked.
How can I get my old finder back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Go to user>library>preferences and delete com.apple.finder.plist and hopefully this fixes your mess.
Repair disk permissions. reboot and see if you are back to good.
Next step would be to reinstall that app and use the uninstaller if it has one, and if not, use AppCleaner to delete it which will find any left of mess.
Failing that,, get onto the developers of that App.
Failing all of that, I hope you have been vigilant with keeping time machine backups, and restoring back to before your trouble began.
Finally, reinstalling OS X and staying away from these "questionable OS X altering applications" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Go to user>library>preferences and delete com.apple.finder.plist and hopefully this fixes your mess.
Next step would be to reinstall that app and use the uninstaller if it has one, and if not, use AppCleaner to delete it which will find any left of mess.
Failing all of that, I hope you have been vigilant with keeping time machine backups, and restoring back to before your trouble began.
Finally, reinstalling OS X and staying away from these "questionable OS X altering applications" :)

Thanks, got it working! ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Which step did it - for the next one with the same issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Please share what you did that fixed it, should someone else run into the same problem, and find this thread :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You beat me to it Bob :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Or, just click the oval at the upper right of the window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.