Recovering missing fonts?

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just got a new iMac this week. The dealer transfered all of my old files over to the new machine. Now I have a bunch of fonts that are not showing up in any of my programs. They are listed in the font folder, but they obviously aren't available. They are fonts I've been using for 5-6 years and now when I open any Illustrator artwork files in which I've used any of these fonts, I get the old "font missing, substituting something crappy instead" notice. I tried reloading all 45 fonts this afternoon, but they still don't show up in the programs. What do I have to do to get them activated?
Thanks!
Kenny aka lafndog

[email protected]

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some programs need to be reinstalled before they will pick up on any new fonts that have recently been added. I have had that problem even with MS Office.

There can also be a problem with transferring data from an older operating system to a newer one. That will also cause some things like fonts to disappear. The best suggestion I can give you for now is to try to reinstall Illustrator to see if that takes care of it.

OP
L
Reaction score
I got it figured out today. The fonts were not present in the Mac HD>Library>Fonts folder for some reason. I downloaded the fonts again and manually put them in the fonts folder. So far it looks like that did the trick. Luckily no need to reinstall all of the software. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.