Target Disk??

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

had problems with my iMac G4 having Kernel Panics: "we ae hanging here"

so i was wondering about borrowing a mates iBook to set up Target Disk and in effect jump start my machine.

The question is how do i go about it once i have set up the target disk??
i want to basically completly erase my machine as i had backed up all software so i am looking for a fix like the day i brought the machine.

any advice or help would be appreciated

Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well connect the two machines via a firewire cable, reboot his and hold down t at the apple logo.

Then reboot yours holding t and I think it should boot off the iBook. If not try again and hold down the option key: Then select his harddrive from the menu that pops up.

Basically you can then just use his system to wipe your disk (using disk utility) and copy your old files back over.

ALTERNATIVELY:

Just boot off the system disks that came with your iBook (hold c at startup) and select the Erase and install option that the OS X installer offers you.

OP
P
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Well connect the two machines via a firewire cable, reboot his and hold down t at the apple logo.

Then reboot yours holding t and I think it should boot off the iBook. If not try again and hold down the option key: Then select his harddrive from the menu that pops up.

Basically you can then just use his system to wipe your disk (using disk utility) and copy your old files back over.

ALTERNATIVELY:

Just boot off the system disks that came with your iBook (hold c at startup) and select the Erase and install option that the OS X installer offers you.

Thanks for the advice i'll give it a try, my computer seems to far gone for holding C whilst in start up

What do i do when it comes to finishing, do i need to just shut down and the iBook will go back to the users normal settings??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yep. Just switch off the iBook and reboot to start it up normally.

But booting off the DVD should work as well, since the Kernel panics shouldn't start kicking in until the kernel comes on, i.e. after it starts booting off the internal harddrive.

Btw, when you're up & running again, if you have an iPod or firewire drive with enough space left kicking around there somewhere it might be a good idea to backup your system to that, then you can boot off that and don't have to get your friends iBook if you run into problems again

OP
P
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Yep. Just switch off the iBook and reboot to start it up normally.

But booting off the DVD should work as well, since the Kernel panics shouldn't start kicking in until the kernel comes on, i.e. after it starts booting off the internal harddrive.

Btw, when you're up & running again, if you have an iPod or firewire drive with enough space left kicking around there somewhere it might be a good idea to backup your system to that, then you can boot off that and don't have to get your friends iBook if you run into problems again

How do you arrange a backup so i could boot in case i come into trouble later? i have an extrnal Hard Drive (Maxtor one touch)
i would do this in the future

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.