Leopard on external drive

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I just want to know if I can install Leopard on an external drive and put it in my PPC without having boot issues? I do NOT want to boot from the external drive - just make it bootable for my Quicksilver machine. I've tried several times to install it the regular way but it hangs during installation saying I have only an hour and 4 minutes left.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Wy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
No, you can't and running any Mac OS on a non-Mac machine is not allowed. We do not discuss that here.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi everyone - I just want to know if I can install Leopard on an external drive and put it in my PPC without having boot issues? I do NOT want to boot from the external drive - just make it bootable for my Quicksilver machine. I've tried several times to install it the regular way but it hangs during installation saying I have only an hour and 4 minutes left.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Wy

Three questions:

1. Does your Powermac G4 Quicksilver meet the minimum system specs for Leopard "10.5". You need at least an 867mhz cpu.
2. Is the install disk black or gray? If gray...it won't work...if black ok.
3. If it's a black disk...do you have Leopard installed from this one disk on more than one computer?...because that against Apples rules.

As far as installing Leopard on an external drive...here are some links:

Installing Leopard to an external firewire drive

Installing Leopard on an External Hard Drive

Install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard With An External Hard Drive | Live Slick

How to Install a Leopard External Hard Drive

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Three questions:

1. Does your Powermac G4 Quicksilver meet the minimum system specs for Leopard "10.5". You need at least an 867mhz cpu.
2. Is the install disk black or gray? If gray...it won't work...if black ok.
3. If it's a black disk...do you have Leopard installed from this one disk on more than one computer?...because that against Apples rules.

As far as installing Leopard on an external drive...here are some links:

Installing Leopard to an external firewire drive

Installing Leopard on an External Hard Drive

Install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard With An External Hard Drive | Live Slick

How to Install a Leopard External Hard Drive

HTH,

- Nick

Hi Nick,

The install disc is black. I've had Leopard installed before on this machine. I had 2 drives in it and decided to use the bigger drive as a backup drive and the smaller as a standalone o/s. I'll check out the links you've suggested.

Thanks for the reply.

Wy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.