I reset my iMac and now I am lost?...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch The Best
I re-installed my iMac with them two get disk's you get with your purchase (I have a 24 inch I think) so I could get my bootcamp to work and get back GarageBand.

But now I am having to install everything from scratch, which I new I would have to do but things are not working like Itunes, Photo-booth etc. . . I am trying to download the latest update form what I have now which is 10.4.11

I have no clue to whats going on and I really could use some help from someone that nows there way around an iMac.

I do not have the latest iMac*** I think it was:( bough it in 2008? not sure.. got it as a gift..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry to run BootCamp you need Leopard OS X.5 as a minimum and not Tiger OS X.4 so it appears you have gone to all this trouble for nothing without knowing how to back up your machine and no doubt not having a cloned external drive?

OP
RastaApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch The Best
Can I re-instal Leopard

Sorry to run BootCamp you need Leopard OS X.5 as a minimum and not Tiger OS X.4 so it appears you have gone to all this trouble for nothing without knowing how to back up your machine and no doubt not having a cloned external drive?

Can I re-instal Leopard?
I lost my OS X Leopard Disk :( I thought the two grey ones were the same thing??.. what the best thing to do? I don't really have the cash to spend on a new disk (£60)crazy....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can I re-instal Leopard?
I lost my OS X Leopard Disk :( I thought the two grey ones were the same thing??.. what the best thing to do? I don't really have the cash to spend on a new disk (£60)crazy....

10.4 = Tiger
10.5 = Leopard

Yes you could install Leopard (so you can use bootcamp)...but like you said...you need the Leopard (10.5) install disk.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Call Apple to request a replacement Leopard disc. It will cost much less than one off of eBay or elsewhere. But, I guess you'll need proof that you own a license for Leopard.

OP
RastaApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch The Best
How much would I be looking at? Would I be able to wipe everything and start from scratch again when i get the disk?

Oh and my DVD drive doesn't work on my Mac so there's another thing I need to add to my shopping list :( lool

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How much would I be looking at? Would I be able to wipe everything and start from scratch again when i get the disk?

Oh and my DVD drive doesn't work on my Mac so there's another thing I need to add to my shopping list :( lool

Problems, problems, problems...

- Shouldn't have wiped the drive in the first place!
- Don't have proper install disks!
- DVD drive doesn't work!
- Don't have money!

...when will it end!:(

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I do not have the latest iMac*** I think it was:( bough it in 2008? not sure.. got it as a gift..

If it came with 10.4 discs, you're on a machine that was released prior to October 2007, which is when Leopard was released.

Fortunately, it's an Intel machine, so you can just pick up a copy of Snow Leopard (10.6), which runs around $30 in the US. That fixes your problem with the old OS, but it will not help you with the old version of iLife '06 (which includes iPhoto, Garageband, iMovie, etc).

In this case, I think your best bet would be to save some money and pick up the Mac Boxed Set. This includes the latest version of OS X, iLife and iWork, all in one bundle. It's kind of pricey at $169 (US list), but I've seen it elsewhere - like Amazon.com - for $89.

This will be a somewhat expensive mistake for you, unfortunately. Just learn from it, and know that it is almost *never* necessary to reinstall the OS on a Mac. This is a bad habit we bring with us from Windows, but OS X is almost always recoverable just by making a new user account.

And by all means, before you make *ANY* major change to your machine, you need to have a solid backup. There are only two kinds of computer users in this world, those who have lost data and those that eventually will...

OP
RastaApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch The Best
Well my first thing to get is a new DVD Drive.. It not that I don't have the money it's just I need it to move back to the UK..

Could I borrow the disk from some one? will that work..

+ I did back it up in time machine but it has only backed up my applications and music for some odd reason..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well my first thing to get is a new DVD Drive.. It not that I don't have the money it's just I need it to move back to the UK..

Could I borrow the disk from some one? will that work..

Only a retail disc or a system disk specific to that model will work.

+ I did back it up in time machine but it has only backed up my applications and music for some odd reason..

Time Machine doesn't work that way. How are you ascertaining that only certain files were backed up? If you're just casually browsing the directory, that doesn't tell the whole picture. If you had a Leopard disc, you can boot from it and opt to restore from a Time Machine backup, which will put your machine back to the state it was in before you formatted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And above all else, have a read of the User Manual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.