Problem editing path

Reaction score
Hello,

A few months back I added a directory to my PATH. I now need to remove that directory from the PATH because there's a program in there with a name that clashes with something else I'm trying to use.

This should be really easy. I've looks in all the standard places:
1) ~/.profile
2) ~/.bash_profile
3) ~/.bash_rc
4) /etc/paths
And some others too I found by looking around on google. I found my original addition to the PATH in ~/.bash_profile, which I removed. However, every time I open a new terminal, the PATH variable still contains the directory I'm trying to remove.

I'm using Snow Leopard and bash. I've shut down terminal completely and rebooted the machine. All I can think is that somewhere there is another profile find adding the directory to the path.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can remove this directory from my path?

Thanks very much for any help,

Chris

OP
C
Reaction score
After many hours, I eventually worked this out. I'll post my solution in case someone else experiences the same problem. I could not find this anywhere on Google.

In ~/.MacOSX/ there is a file environment.plist . It contains all the path directories not defined in /etc/profile ~/.bash_profile ~/.bash_login and ~/.profile . Delete it and restart.

I was unaware that it was possible to set the path this way.

I'm 100% sure I didn't set it this way originally, so I'm wondering if some software many have done it 'on my behalf'

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.