• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Just uploaded a dvd on my macbook, which format will work to drag into iMovie?

Reaction score
If this question is in the wrong place please forgive me and put it in the correct one. Thanks!

I uploaded a video from my 30 minute dvd onto my Macbook and am trying to drag it into iMovie. The issue is none of the formats at letting me drag it into there. My only goal is to add my website name at the beginning of the video. The MP4 won't work, DV, FLV and Divx Avi. I am using a video converter from Mac with a huge list of formats but don't know which will work to drag it.

I used mactheripper to get the movie on the mac and aiseesoft to put it into the correct format.

No formats will let me drag into iMovie

I will keep trying but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Try this

Open your movie with QuickTime player. If you cannot, then download and instal Perion, which is an extension.
Once you have started your movie in QuickTime, save it by going to File and clicking Save for Web.
You will see it being converted in a panel.
When it is finished, right-click it and select Open in Downloads.
Find it in downloads (perhaps in a folder) and drag it to Desktop.
You will find your movie with the extension .mov or .m4v.
Either of them can be imported into imovie.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Perian and also install Flip4Mac.

If you need to covert formats download Handbrake as well. Just another option than above. But do install the Perian and Flip4Mac

Cheers

Reaction score
I found Flip4Mac unnecessary. Unless you buy the full program, the movie will appear with a watermark. QuickTime solves this problem and you don't need to download or buy anything.:)

C

chas_m

Roiphe: You are confusing the paid program Flip4Mac makes that OUTPUTS wmv files from the free program Tattooed was referring to that PLAYS wmv files. No watermark on the free program, but it doesn't help in the slightest with getting anything into iMovie (and neither does the paid version!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.