MacBook Pro Unibody » Apple Store Repair Casing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (5,3), 2.8 GHz, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM | OS X 10.6, Debian 6, Whendoze 7
This morning I am working on installing Windows 7 on my friend's computer for her, and she was getting up and knocked my MacBook Pro off the table, and now my case is bent in on the bottom right with the bottom panel protruding a bit... I've not had much good luck with technology this week. XD Hopefully my remote sensor still works and my battery isn't damaged, since they're both right there...

Anyways, my question is this: Will I be able to take my computer into the Apple Store and get it repaired? And, if so, around how much would this cost me? Would it void my AppleCare?

Thank you. =)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Need more info as to the exact Macbook Pro model you have to give you some idea of a repair cost estimate, what exactly is damaged, and is everything working properly?

But I would be surprised if it's was less than $200 (parts & labor)...and most likely more.

- Nick

OP
Shadow Jolteon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (5,3), 2.8 GHz, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM | OS X 10.6, Debian 6, Whendoze 7
I have a fifteen inch MacBook Pro (5,3). The bottom right corner of the casing is damaged, which is both the bottom panel as well as the unibody casing in the same spot. It appears as though the screw in that area may be a bit out of place, as well... The remote sensor and sleep indicator light appear to be functioning properly.

Also, I was just wondering: would this void my warranty and/or AppleCare protection?

Thank you for your reply. =)

Edit: Also, after this, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good cases for a MacBook Pro... I saw one yesterday in the coffee shop at school that was pretty cool that made their unibody MacBook Pro look kind of like the old white MacBooks, with a clear shiny case and the aluminum underneath. Does anyone know where I can find this one?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, I was just wondering: would this void my warranty and/or AppleCare protection?

I don't want to guess...since I'm not 100% sure. So I would say check with Apple first regarding the repair & the warranty. If they won't do the repair under the Applecare warranty (because in all honesty it was caused by an accident...not Apples fault)...then it would be good to know if you want to do the repair...if it would negatively effect the warranty.

- Nick

OP
Shadow Jolteon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, okay. Thank you for your replies and help. =)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, okay. Thank you for your replies and help. =)

If you do check with Apple...please let us know what they say. If they say it won't void your warranty...I would be more than happy to help you with information to:

- identify what part(s) you need
- where to get them (if available)
- and hopefully how to install them

I'm guessing that if Apple says it will void your warranty if you do the repairs...then I guess your only option is to have Apple to do it...which might be pretty darn expensive.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.