my work is almost gone :(

Reaction score
My laptop was stolen. I bought a new one. I had a lot of backups by time capsule on the old one.

when configuration the new mac it says he can't connect to time capsule..

so i followed the configuration, put it like a virgin mac, manage to connect to it but when using the migration tool it says:

"it's not possible to open the security copy. Secure yourself that the periferics are all connected and active. is possible that this copy is beiing used. certify yourself that the security copy is not being used by other computer and try again"

It says always that.

when i acess it through finder, i can acess my files, but they all say

if i try to copy them it says (if a copy to my computer) the capacity to diferenciate caps from not caps is not indicated for a security copy. if i copy to a external disk it says:

my old mac we're in european portuguese, this is also in european portuguese. the model is exactly the same.

I just want to secure my files and at least copy them. If time capsule doesn't work

by the way, when i acess the time capsule through finder it appears the files:

also the filename is 2010-10-01-133520.inProgress

i think the last backup in my old mac didn't go completly through.

what should i do? i'm desesperating. i can lose my job if i lost my files :(

thank you so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like different operating systems, say perhaps Leopard on the stolen Mac and Snow Leopard on the replacement would explain your problems. Maybe wipe the hard drive, connect up Time Capsule and try for a clean install and see if a backup from the Capsule is offered.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi,

Both mac's had the same operating system, snow leopard.

Also the hard drive on the new one we're completely fresh!

I tried to migrate the data as soon as i started the new mac for the first time and it gave the error.

any idea???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds to me like the external drive was formatted as Case Sensitive.

This is not typically used for an install of OS X. I have never used this option and I just am not familiar with all the ramifications this can cause between two drives, one that is and one that is not case sensitive.

OP
R
Reaction score
forgot the external drive was just an experience. the problem is between my time capsule and my new mac! and this mac is exactly the same has the new one!!!!!

when using the migration tool:

"it's not possible to open the security copy. Secure yourself that the periferics are all connected and active. is possible that this copy is beiing used. certify yourself that the security copy is not being used by other computer and try again"

It says always that.

when i acess it through finder, i can acess my files, but they all say

is impossible to finish the operation because elements from a security copy can't be modified.

anyone know what to do?

if i try to copy them it says (if a copy to my computer) the capacity to diferenciate caps from not caps is not indicated for a security copy. if i copy to a external disk it says:

my old mac we're in european portuguese, this is also in european portuguese. the model is exactly the same.

I just want to secure my files and at least copy them. If time capsule doesn't work

by the way, when i acess the time capsule through finder it appears the files:

also the filename is 2010-10-01-133520.inProgress

i think the last backup in my old mac didn't go completly through.

what should i do? i'm desesperating. i can lose my job if i lost my files

thank you so much!

OP
R
Reaction score
no one with experience???

also how can i copy files from time capsule to a normal mac?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
also how can i copy files from time capsule to a normal mac?

What the heck is a "normal Mac"?...aren't they all "normal"?:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
a regular mac. i said "normal" mac because it keeps giving me problems copying

so

how can i copy files from time capsule to a mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.