Emac logic boards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4, dual 1ghz, Model M8570 (ebay buy)
Hi brothers and sisters,

new to the forums.

I've just converted my emac to an LCD screen and using an atx power supply and it was ok. However, my problem now is it starts up but I have no external video (internal video is not connected as yet) and the usb ports are dead. I've carried out voltage checks with my multi-meter and everything seems ok power wise. Is it possible it has defaulted to some funny mode and is looking for the internal video? As I get no image it's difficult to know what is going on. It came on before and the USB ports were ok, could eject the dvd drive from keyboard but still no video.

Can anyone offer assistance as it's the only machine I have to do my work and can't afford a new one as yet.

:Blushing:

Macdriver

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've just converted my emac to an LCD screen and using an atx power supply and it was ok. However, my problem now is it starts up but I have no external video (internal video is not connected as yet) and the usb ports are dead.

Can anyone offer assistance as it's the only machine I have to do my work and can't afford a new one as yet.

My question is...why would you do such a high risk conversion if it's the only machine you have? This is the kind of thing you do with a spare computer...and if something goes wrong...no problem.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
The Logic board may have been damaged during the transplant of screens. Static electricity is a common problem. But, the worst part is, you may have killed your only computer. :(

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, i did the conversion as my crt screen had died so basically had no choice. the conversion went well and i was running the machine for a day to test. But before that the power button had broke and i'd made a temp fix. I'm sure two of the wires touched whilst I was manouvering the computer.

Macdriver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like you have shorted it out and zap no more computer. For an eMac cheaper to upgrade to a G5 or Mac Pro and use the eMac as an anchor.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anyone got an unwanted emac i could butcher?

Macdriver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Look up threads from my friend hughvane. He is an eMacaholic as it were and can offer much more wiser advise. Will PM him for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
anyone got an unwanted emac i could butcher?

Direct answer - no - but more to the point, check online auction sites and you'll find numerous cheap operating eMacs for sale.

If you decide however that you want the logic board out of one, make sure it's the right one for your eMac model, and that the capacitors are kosher. If not, replace them/get them replaced BEFORE you try putting the board into the eMac.

I'd suggest that a simpler way to retain your work is to get the hard drive out of the dead eMac and put it into a higher spec Mac, as Harry suggests, eg. a G5 PPC, or G5 iMac.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi and thanks for the advice,

That's what others outside the forums are saying and what I was thinking but always to good to hear from experienced people. There are boards/second hand emacs on ebay. I'll see what I can come up with and let you all know.

Still, lots of lessons learnt (harsh as they may be), and learnt lots about apple mac hardware and software which only a project like that can teach you. I'll be browsing the other forums for more knowledge.

thomash

Reaction score
Do you get the chime startup sound? If so you may need to reset PRAM (and/or the PMU). I recently had an IMac G4 that would chime but no video and the USB ports also appeared dead. Not exactly sure what cleared it up, but I think it was resetting the PRAM. To reset the PRAM, press and hold down the Command,Option,"p" and "r" keys after hearing the chime sound. If done successfully, you should hear another chime sound after doing this. ( I would suggest repeatedly pressing the keys after the chime if just holding them down doesn"t seem to register.) Resetting the PMU also may help. Anyway, I have a 1.25ghz recapped emac motherboard and another one in a case with an ATX power supply.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi and thanks,

I'll try that. Not had much time this week with work and a touch of flu but i'll defo give it a go and let you all know. Ebay is fabulous so may get something from that soon. I could do with a couple of macs.

:Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.