Mac Desktop effect :: NOOB HELP

Reaction score
okay so I was tinkering with my macbook pro and I saw this option that if I ticked the box, the desktop would go all black and white, then there's another option that it turns my desktop to look like a negative effect...now I can't find it. anyone know where I can find it? thanks a lot.

ps just got my new mbp like 2 weeks ago so bear with me.

C

chas_m

Is doing this sort of thing really a good idea?

You were playing around in Universal Access under System Preferences. That is also where you will be able to change it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Command-Option-Control-8

There nothing wrong with doing it...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use that one quite often early in the morning prior to coffee and eyes adjusting to being open. :Cool:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's EVERYTHING wrong with messing with your system **IF** you do not know how to find your way back.

I agree with baggss. How else is a new user going to learn....?

C

chas_m

Well, you make a point ... forums like this would have little to talk about if everyone avoided user-caused problems ... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There's EVERYTHING wrong with messing with your system **IF** you do not know how to find your way back.

What? Messing with your system is the BEST way to learn about it. I've learned more by randomly changing settings than I care to imagine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No fighting at all. Just different viewpoints.

I see what Chas is talking about but I am guilty of doing the same thing. When I first installed OSX on my Power Mac G4, I messed with every setting! I though can always figure a way back. That is how I learned.

And since we have this forum where people can get help if they can't get back, just ask and someone will help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I keep clones and time machine backups handy because I am self taught by experimenting.
Windows was never as forgiving, and I wasn't willing to risk it, but ever since switching to Macs, it has always been fun to experiment, and "see what happens."
The main thing is backups backup backups, install media handy, and time on your hands to reinstall and restore if tinkering around carelessly goes too far :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I keep clones and time machine backups handy because I am self taught by experimenting.

Same same. . . . . . . . . Shane .. Dane ...Blane ??? Stuff it cant remember ;P lol

But mine WAS a biggy switching on FileVault thinking that it was that extra security that i needed..... How wrong i was :( took a OS reinstall to get my MB back to working order ..... So STAY AWAY from FileVault. It really isnt worth the heart ache and unless you have some Secret Squirrel shite you need to hide from those colourful green men Dont do it ....
I learnt the hard way ;)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Same same. . . . . . . . . Shane .. Dane ...Blane ??? Stuff it cant remember ;P lol
Cheers
LOL.... Nice one Tattster... I was hoping you'd get me back soon :D

So STAY AWAY from FileVault. It really isnt worth the heart ache and unless you have some Secret Squirrel shite you need to hide from those colourful green men Dont do it ....
I learnt the hard way ;)

For those who must check under lampshades for hidden microphones and smoke sensors for hidden cameras, don't forget to shut your blinds, keep the lights dimmed, use hide your IP address, and install every version of anti virus you can find.
I'm always watching! ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.