Possible move of users folder etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.8 i5 256Gb SSD 1Tb HD 8Gb Macbook 13" late 2009 2.3Ghz 4Gb
Only had the iMac a couple of days - only just used Migration Assistant to get `stuff' across from the MacBook - use of the latter prompted me into an iMac! Question as an almost Mac newbie - is it possible to move the user folders etc. off the SSD onto the `normal' HD? Since the SSD is only 256Gb whereas the 2nd HD is 1Tb. Or, as seen in the excellent post on new converts, is it best to leave it where OSx puts it? I know it's possible, for example, to move pictures out of the `normal' iPhoto location. Advice/help much appreciated.

This is my first ever post, thus I hope it `comes up' OK. Thanks in anticipation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Were you using Time Machine to backup the MacBook? If you have a TM backup of the MacBook, you can move everything over. The first time you turn on the iMac it will ask if you wish to restore from another Mac. If you don't have a TM backup you can selectively move what you wish using the Migration Assistant or manually move folders and files. It depends on what you're moving but most apps and their folders should be OK. However, there are some apps which will have to be reinstalled.

C

chas_m

If you don't have a TM backup you can selectively move what you wish using the Migration Assistant

I just want to clarify what chscag said here because this is open to some interpretation.

Migration Assistant gives you some **limited* selectivity on what gets moved over, but it's pretty basic. You cannot choose which apps get moved over, for example -- there is only a checkbox to choose whether MA should move Applications or not.

That said, MA is quite intelligent about this and does not move programs that won't work (like OS 9 programs) over all by itself. If by chance MA moved over an extra folder or library I didn't want, I can remove it myself after the fact pretty easily.

However, there are some apps which will have to be reinstalled.

Mostly this is Adobe and Microsoft apps that don't like being cloned and prefer (demand) to be reinstalled. Some other high-end apps act like this too, but by and large everything "just works" when moved over by MA. It's really one of Apple's best efforts and pretty "magical" in how well it works.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.8 i5 256Gb SSD 1Tb HD 8Gb Macbook 13" late 2009 2.3Ghz 4Gb
Many thanks for both responses; however - you both appear to have missed my point. I was asking was it possible to move the user folders off the SSD onto the 1Tb second hard-drive? A la Windows whereby it was possible to move ones `My Documents' folders to another disk for easier backup etc. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It is possible to move user folders, however, there may be some things that will not work after the move. Open your user folder and see what it contains..

You can always try moving one folder and then testing it by running applications. There should be no problem with documents and the like; it's the programs that scatter files and folders around and about that will be a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.