LaCie problems...again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
LaCie problems...again! (Not anymore)

I'm having problems mounting my 250GB LaCie drive on my mini. Over the last month and a half it's gotten progressively worse. At first it mounted fine, then it wouldn't mont sometimes and now it won't at all. I tried using Disk Utility but the drive is no longer showing up in the side panel when I turn it on. I don't understand what's wrong because it works fine with my HP laptop. I just hope it's not a dud because I'd rather not deal with the hassle of returning and exchanging if possible. Any suggestions or remedies would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you tried using a different cable to connect to your system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
Is there anything else you can try hooking up to your firewire port? If the drive is working on other computers then perhaps your port is bad or failing.

OP
dstopsky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
Have you tried using a different cable to connect to your system?
Yes

Abdiel said:
Is there anything else you can try hooking up to your firewire port? If the drive is working on other computers then perhaps your port is bad or failing.
I guess you mean USB port, but yes I've tried several.

I believe that it may actually be the port on the backside of the drive. The USB cable moves around quite a bit and it seems that at some times when I give it a wiggle the drive will mount. I'm going to bring it in and try to exchange for a new one. Hopefully I won't see this problem again with a new unit.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

OP
dstopsky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just got back from returning the drive. I wish I could've gotten it working properly because I unfortunately wasn't able to obtain about 10 GB of data.

On the positive side, the salesman convinced me to upgrade to the D2 Triple Interface model instead and knocked off £10 from the price. I only hope this drive is as sturdy as the casing is (it only weighs about 100 lbs).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
dstopsky said:
Just got back from returning the drive. I wish I could've gotten it working properly because I unfortunately wasn't able to obtain about 10 GB of data.

On the positive side, the salesman convinced me to upgrade to the D2 Triple Interface model instead and knocked off £10 from the price. I only hope this drive is as sturdy as the casing is (it only weighs about 100 lbs).

Did the Tripple come with a Firewire cable? If so I would suggest using the firewire port on the mini instead of USB2.

OP
dstopsky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
Did the Tripple come with a Firewire cable? If so I would suggest using the firewire port on the mini instead of USB2.
Yeah, it came with 4 different cables (USB, 2 Firewire 400 and Firewire 800). And yes, I'm using the Firewire and am already noticing how much faster it is over the USB 2.0 drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.