• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Connect Macbook to HDTV?

Reaction score
I was wondering what exactly I would need to buy to connect my macbook pro to my hdtv. I got the macbook pro this past spring of 2010 and I got it a few weeks before the newer model with the 2.4 ghz processor came out. It's the 2.26 ghz 13.3". I would prefer to connect it with an HDMI cable if possible. The reason I want this is to watch netflix and NHL center ice on my tv. I hope this helps. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, if it's the newer 13" that has the 320m gpu chipset in it, it should have audio and video available on the display port where you'd just need to purchase a mini-display -> hdmi adapter (see: Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support - Apple Store (U.S.) ) unfortunately, I think you have the model prior to the mid 2010 model that supports audio out the mini-display port, but I may be confused on the models.

Another option would be something like: Amazon.com: Kanex iAdapt 51 Mini DisplayPort to HDMI with 5.1 Channel Digital Audio: Electronics - this is the kanex model, there is one made by another company as well whose name I can't remember off the top of my head. Basically, it requires a mini-display port, the optical portion of the audio port (the audio port on the MBP has optical) and a USB port (for power)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.