Problems connecting with a WD external HD

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Macbook Pro and I can't add files on my Western Digital external hard drive. I can remove files but I can't transfer any files into it. My other hard drives work perfectly. I connected my friend's WD and the same thing happened, I couldn't transfer files into it as well. I was able to transfer files in and out of it using another laptop though. So is it just a problem with Western Digitals? Is there something I can do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
How is the external drive formatted? If it is NTFS, you will be able read from it, but there is no native support for writing to NTFS drives in OS X. There are third party drives you can get to add write support for NTFS formatted drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Further if you are going to use it with the MacBook only, format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) go into Partition, and partition if only the one partition and then into Options and make sure it is set to GUID.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.