• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

*RUMOR* Next-gen 7-inch iPad to have Retina Display, 128GB storage

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I guess I'm a Fan Boy, but you can put me in the camp that I've pretty much already decided I will buy one without having seen it.
I will caveat that if it is too pricey it may be awhile. My justification is that I love my iPad as an eReader, but the 7in size would definetly be more convenient for travel. In this case though I would probably go just for a Wifi version.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will caveat that if it is too pricey it may be awhile. My justification is that I love my iPad as an eReader, but the 7in size would definetly be more convenient for travel. In this case though I would probably go just for a Wifi version.

I would sure hope the 7" is less $$$ than the current 9.7".:)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would sure hope the 7" is less $$$ than the current 9.7".:)

- Nick
I figure something reasonably between the Wifi Kindle ($139) and the base iPad ($499) would be a good target price. If you average the two you get $319. And, I would probably pay around that for a 7in iPad.

Anymore and I would have to think about it for quite a while. :)

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Sort of an "old rumor":;)

Below is a link for a rumor article back on August 17th, 2010 mentioning a 7" iPad...but the article you linked seems to be updated with some very interesting additional info.:)

7-Inch iPad to Launch By Christmas? - Mac Rumors

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/211722-ipad-mini-rumor.html

- Nick
ok, ok...but it was a new rumor on A-I with revised spec...:)

I figure something reasonably between the Wifi Kindle ($139) and the base iPad ($499) would be a good target price. If you average the two you get $319. And, I would probably pay around that for a 7in iPad.
At least wishful thinking is free. $319 is way too good of a price! I would LOVE it to be that low! But I have a feeling they would forever be sold out at that price...
Though, I do believe the price makes a little bit of sense at that range. Maybe $349 sounds a tad bit better.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Anymore and I would have to think about it for quite a while. :)

Maybe a 7" iPad release will bring down the price of the 9.7" iPad!:)

Gotta remember...if a 7" iPad is released...then there would really be three iPad's:

- the 9.7"
- the 7"
- the 3.5" (aka the iPod Touch);)

- Nick

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
- the 9.7"
- the 7"
- the 3.5" (aka the iPod Touch);)

- Nick

haha...they should just just change the name of the current i-touch to ipad MINI, or the current ipad to i-touch GIANT. Works for me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha...they should just just change the name of the current i-touch to ipad MINI, or the current ipad to i-touch GIANT. Works for me.

Sounds good to me...but there are still folks out there that STILL don't want accept the fact that the:

- iPad is a BIG iPod Touch
- iPod Touch is a mini iPad

This has been my stance since day 1!

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to agree that sandwiching a 7in version between the 9.7in iPad and 3.5in iPod may not make good marketing sense . . . but still, I would buy one.

3.5in is just too small for sustained comfort in reading. I have done it, but the iPad is sooo much better. Lighter would be nicer, though, and I think somewhere between 5 and 8 inch is probably the sweet spot for reading comfort vs weight and handling.

And I would probably pay $350, but not without some internal conflict and argument. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to agree that sandwiching a 7in version between the 9.7in iPad and 3.5in iPod may not make good marketing sense . . . but still, I would buy one.

You would certainly think that 3 similar devices so close in price would be a tough trick to pull off. If it happens...just shows the power of Apple (Marketing, Advertising, Market Research, R&D, etc.)!

Could also be an evolutionary step. If the sales of 1 of the 3 falls off...chop...off with it's head!;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds good to me...but there are still folks out there that STILL don't want accept the fact that the:

- iPad is a BIG iPod Touch
- iPod Touch is a mini iPad

This has been my stance since day 1!

- Nick

I have to agree.
But that doesn't change the fact that size differentiation is a valid factor in usability. A Television is basically a television regardless of the size, and I see value in the 37in HDTV in my family room as well as the 19in in the kitchen. I don't see one replacing the other. And while I don't really need either one, I like having and use both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have to say I think Apple need to watch out or this might become like the Newton. By that I mean a device with so many different versions of itself it was not funny. Personally I think there is only 2 options that are viable.

1. Leave things as they are. Ie. No mini ipad.
2. Have this mini ipad, but call it the new ipod touch. And discontinue the current sized ipod touch.

And also App developers have to already make apps for 2 sizes of screen. Touch/iphone and ipad. A 3rd version of their apps is a little too much to ask for. And is not really necessary.

Reaction score
LMBO..

You guys are thinking this WAY too seriously.

If Apple markets two different sized iPad models (what's the iPad doing? Killing netbook sales. How many different sizes of netbooks are out there? At least three with some variation), and advertises it as iPad and iPad mini, then there's two versions of the iPad! As for the iPod touch, that's a form factor that the PDA market used to take (albeit clunky, slow and annoying with a stylus)- and all Apple is doing it marketing an iPod, not an iPad. Apple has two different product lines here, even though there's overlap (iOS, touch screen, same App Store, same iTunes, same features overall). I seriously doubt this will become the next Newton-Overkill.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
And discontinue the current sized ipod touch.

I can see all the people who can't have an iphone, but want an i-touch, getting MAD about that kind of a move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I can see all the people who can't have an iphone, but want an i-touch, getting MAD about that kind of a move.

Yes and Apple will say well you have an i-touch it'll just be a different size. With these new features and suck all the people into buying one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I read the article about them saying it was built alongside the current ipad a couple of days ago. I have to say, if it's true, I'll wait till the 2nd version of the 7" comes out. I have a hard time believing they would build a 7" with similar specs to the current ipad, only to not release it, but go through spec upgrade(from other articles) before it even came out... something doesn't sound right with these latest articles.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.