Screen protector for an anti-glare screen?

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm a brand new Macbook Pro 17" (anti-glare screen) owner. This is my first laptop and first Apple product other than an ipod. I've done a lot of research about protection and know that some people like their Macbooks naked, and some want them like an armored car. I'm the latter. I've bought a Wrapsol (love it) and a Moshi keyboard protector (like it fairly well) and now I'm trying to figure out a screen protector. I noticed my screen already has fingerprints and dust spots, so I think it might be wise to purchase one. Despite my research I'm having some difficulties and would love your thoughts.

#1) Because I already have an anti-glare screen, would it be better to purchase a clear or anti-glare protector? I'm afraid an anti-glare would distort the colors/clarity.

#2) I've come up with three "big" brands: Capdase, Nushield, and Clarivu. The first two only sell anti-glare screens. Clarivu sells both. Are there any other brands I should look into?

#3) What is your experience with laptop screen protectors?

#4) Sort of related -- are the new Macbooks called "unibodies" and do they have an aluminum shell? Can't seem to find this on the main specs page.

Thank you!
Alissa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm one of those people who don't use a lot of protection for my MBP. I've owned and used a lot of laptops and IMO it's more about practicing good habits around your laptop. Sometimes adding "armor" makes people careless because they think the armor will protect them from all dangers. Everyone is free to do what they think is best for them though. Anyway back on topic...

1. I would think you should use a clear protector. An anti-glare protector will just unnecessarily double the matte effect with a lower quality anti-glare. You do want to avoid any super glossy clear protectors because obviously that will defeat the purpose of you getting an anti-glare screen. I personally just use the provided micro fiber cleaning cloth to get rid of dust and fingerprints. A screen protector won't protect you from physical damage and you'll still have to clean the protector itself anyway. I feel it's a waste but if it makes you feel better to have one then try out a few to see which one you like. Your situation is kind of unique so I don't think many people will be able to give you opinions based on personal experience.

2. Don't know any because I don't use any.
3. Same as 2

4. The new MacBooks are unibodies but they have white plastic shells. Unibody just means the main body is made out of one piece of material. It doesn't mean aluminum bodies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.