My brand new imac won't recognise ANY printer I seem to try and link it to?

Reaction score
I have recently bought an new imac and it won't work with either my canon MX310 or my HP a710 photo printer. When I plug it in the imac doesnt recognise anything. I have tried clinking on the bottom left add sign but it can't find a thing with the USB lead plugged in. All software for both computers is installed.
I have a macbook and it works fine with both printers. What is wrong with my imac?
Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure the printer(s) are turned on and attached via a USB cable. Then, open System Preferences, Print & Fax to see if they're recognized. If they work with your MacBook, they should work with the new iMac.

Your new iMac has Snow Leopard installed. Snow Leopard software updates will automatically download any updated drivers and software for the Canon and HP.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes the printers are 100% turned on and connected at both ends of the USB. I rang up apple care and they diagnosed it as a fault with USB at the back of the imac, so I now have a new one and the same thing happens!! So it can't be a fault unless all imacs have this problem, like I say it works on my macbook which is only just 2 years old. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Depending on your router/network setup, you may have to configure your network settings to allow the printer to be seen/shared. How do you manage your home network? i.e. What software?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.