Help with transfer of files to new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac i3 3.06Ghz, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard 10.6.4
I have an older iMac that I am selling next week with the money going towards a new iMac.

What I would like is some help with is the transfer of my files and settings etc to the new one.

i have a time machine backup drive that has some folders excluded from backup that are not important to me such as trashcan and downloads folder but also some folders i may need such as plist folders and some others (i may have to check these exclusions tonight to verify to see if i need them.

Because I am selling my current iMac before I have my new one I need to make sure I have everything backed up.

When I get my new iMac i would prefer to start from scratch and just import the files I need rather than setting it up as my current Mac is (clean slate etc) to avoid importing a load of junk from my old OS - if i am misinformed re this then please tell me.

what is important to me is:

e-mails + e-mail accounts setup and settings.
iTunes library inc iPhone apps and backups
iphoto library
iMovie library and projects

any other files i already have backed up.

any help or advice in how i would go about this would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I would do in your situation is make a clone of the hard drive in your current iMac to an external hard drive. Use cloning software: I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. Then, when you purchase your new iMac, just attach the external hard drive to it and copy which files, documents, photos, etc that you wish. And if you change your mind about starting clean, the clone backup you made can be copied in its entirety to the new machine.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the advise - ive backed up everything using time machine anyway and will all clone my drive using carbon copy cloner as you suggested.

Should have all bases covered then.

just another quick question - if i use migration assistant on the new imac and select the option to restore from a time machine backup. will my new computer be exactly the same as my old one? all the same account, passwords etc? will all my emails and email accounts be already setup?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't need to use the Migration Assistant in that situation. When you first startup your new iMac, it will ask you if you wish to restore from another Mac. Just select yes and make sure your Time Machine backup drive is attached. It may take a bit to transfer everything but when it's through, you'll have all your documents, programs, email, photos, etc. on the new machine. And yes, that includes your account with password. I have done this before and it works very well. Just make sure that your Time Machine backup is the latest.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thank you for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.