clamshell mode

Reaction score
clamshell mode with synergy [SOLVED]

I have an older macbook pro a1211, is it possible to run this in clamshell mode w/ out a mouse or keyboard attached via usb but using synergy over a network?

it appears to sleep everytime I close the lid and I can't seem to get it to wake up

OP
V
Reaction score
ok - that doesn't answer my question at all.

i specifically state that i will not have a keyboard or mouse plugged into the laptop itself but using a keyboard/mouse from another computer and using synergy over a network.

this currently works fine when the laptop is not in clamshell mode - but the machine goes to sleep when i close the lid and i can't seem to get it to wake up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ok - that doesn't answer my question at all.

i specifically state that i will not have a keyboard or mouse plugged into the laptop itself but using a keyboard/mouse from another computer and using synergy over a network.

I apologize for for missing the part about not having a mouse & keyboard attached...there's no reason to get upset!:(

this currently works fine when the laptop is not in clamshell mode - but the machine goes to sleep when i close the lid and i can't seem to get it to wake up.

If you don't have a mouse & keyboard (wired or wireless) connected to this laptop with the display closed...I don't think that counts as "Clamshell" mode!

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Perhaps you're right and it would not be considered clamshell.

either way - do you know if its possible to run like that?

I have the mac hooked up to an external display, but would like to be able to close the laptop lid and still use the machine through synergy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps you're right and it would not be considered clamshell.

either way - do you know if its possible to run like that?

Here may be a solution. It's sort of a modified "clamshell mode" with no mouse & keyboard attached. The way you get it to work is you plug some sort of USB device into the Macbook Pro (like a small USB flash drive)...much less bulky than an attached keyboard & mouse.

I guess this "tricks" the laptop into enabling "Clamshell mode". Here are the instructions:

Use a MacBook with the main display off - Mac OS X Hints

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Grab insomniax
semaja2

I use this all the time - I can access files, vnc into it, as well as use synergy with it closed.

OP
V
Reaction score
ah that worked. I tried adding a dongle before, but did it while the monitor was up open - then when it closed it still went to sleep. didn't try it while the lid was already shut.

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah that worked. I tried adding a dongle before, but did it while the monitor was up open - then when it closed it still went to sleep. didn't try it while the lid was already shut.

You got it...stop back often.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You're welcome...stop back often.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.