Trackpad-problems on 2009 macbook pro

Reaction score
At random, my trackpad suddenly behaves as if I'm pressing a it in - so that instead of moving the cursor as usual, I'm "dragging" the cursor, marking everything in it's way. This lasts for maybe a minute, then it's ok again. It is really annoying and seems like some kind of virus to me.

It behaves as if the trackpad-button was stuck, but nothing is there.

It's a macbook pro unibody 17 inch 2.66ghz 4gb ram on snow leopard 10.6.4. I

Hope to get a solution...!

Thanks.

V

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you still have Applecare on it...take it in to Apple to be checked.

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Hmmm good suggestion, but I actually bought insurance from the seller instead of regular apple-care. Sounded smart at the moment, but the stor is in Denmark and I'm in Norway...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm good suggestion, but I actually bought insurance from the seller instead of regular apple-care. Sounded smart at the moment, but the stor is in Denmark and I'm in Norway...

I see...I didn't realize where your location was (it's not in your profile). But 12 months Applecare is automatic with all Apple computers sold everywhere (as far as I know).

And of course if the nearest Apple Store is too far away (and shipping it to Apple for repair is a hassle)...then I can certainly agree that investigating the problem by yourself first is a better idea.

If you are able to take advantage of the insurance you purchased from the seller where you purchased the computer...I would still say use it. It's possible that if your computers trackpad is as sensitive as you mentioned...maybe it's faulty and needs to be replaced.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
That may be so, but it is so random... It only happens three-four times in a day, and only lasts about a minute. I really think it's more a software-problem than a hardware-problem... I'll see if maybe someone has had the same problem answers and let it go for a couple of days before really diving into getting it fixed...

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That may be so, but it is so random... It only happens three-four times in a day, and only lasts about a minute. I really think it's more a software-problem than a hardware-problem...

Too bad you already have the latest OS (10.6.4)...since if not...maybe a software update could have solved it.

Have you tried searching the internet for folks having similar problems? Maybe there's an easy fix others have found.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If you believe it is a software problem - what did you install recently?

Also, when you install software, do you install it for everyone? If it is a software problem, that comes from something you installed, then you could try creating another account and see if it happens in that account. Of course if it is software that is installed for everyone then you will still see this errant behavior.

You could try backing up, and wiping then seeing if the problem persists.

Note that faulty hardware can act randomly - especially in switch type applications like your keyboard and trackpad. My guess is something is dirty, or some liquid may have been involved - maybe humidity or some such.

OP
V
Reaction score
Too bad you already have the latest OS (10.6.4)...since if not...maybe a software update could have solved it.

Have you tried searching the internet for folks having similar problems? Maybe there's an easy fix others have found.

- Nick

Yeah I've tried but haven't really found anything yet... :(

OP
V
Reaction score

- Nick

Yes - but haven't really found anything. haven't had the problem after I posted either though... Who knows what's going on :I

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.