VPN & Windows server - connects OK, no data

Reaction score
I've read more than a dozen threads with similar issues to this and spent hours trying to solve it, but have not found an answer so far...

I have setup a PPTP VPN using the inbuilt client (OSX 10.6.3) to a Windows RRAS server.

It connects (gets a valid IP from DHCP) and authenticates alright (I can see the logon event), but I can't get any data across the VPN to the work network. I can't ping any of the work network, by hostname (incl FQDN) or IP.

Any Windows desktop can connect to the VPN fine and can see the work network.

Any help with the VPN would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Have you tried connecting to the server shares with the log in name in the format domain\username ?

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm actually trying to connect using Remote Desktop Connection. But, the point is I can't even ping the server, let alone connect any drives. I need connectivity first first before I can connect a drive. If I try to map a drive it can't find the server, so I can't authenticate the drive mapping.

However, the VPN authenticates using domain\username and that doesn't make a difference.

OP
T
Reaction score
Struggling

I've spent several more hours crawling the web and can only find people with the same problem. but without any solution.

Does anyone have anything they can add to this please?

Reaction score
Similar

Hi,

Sounds like I've got exactly the same problem, running on 10.6.4

It connects and authenticates, receives DHCP IP and is visible (and disconnect-able) with RRAS on Server 2003 but cannot reach anything on my LAN.

Thats with the VPN as the 'top' network in the list, and with the 'Send all Traffic over VPN' option selected.

Further, I have established that the server setup is correct as any windows pc's have access as expected when connecting.

Also a bit short on ideas now. . . . ?

OP
T
Reaction score
OK, problem solved.

Go to:
1- System Preferences
2- Network
3- Click the Cog / Tool menu drop down and select "Set Service Order"
4- Drag the VPN connection to the top.

Connect the VPN and it should work. Simple really, but stupid. I had to pay someone else to help me, now I give it to you free. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.