Photo Storage and Backup

Reaction score
What is the best way to store photos when using iPhoto? Currently have them on an external drive but discovered that Time Machine doesn't back up from an external drive. Need a good solution for storing and backing up my photos when using iPhoto (and eventually Aperture).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.42 mhz processor 1 gb ram, G4 Processor, 60 GB hard drive running tiger, iPod Nano G5, iPod 2&5 G
hey, It's simple ... go to you're Photo folder in finder and drag the photo's from you're external harddrive to youre mac hard drive:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac i3 3.06Ghz, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard 10.6.4
or you can instruct time machine to back up external drives

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If, when, you get Aperture — it has its own separate back up system called a Vault. The back up source can be anything you wish, but most would use an EHD. The backup includes all your Masters, Previews and all the changes you have made to the Masters. In other words, everything. You back up manually as required.

The iPhoto bit of your question is answered above.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
or you can instruct time machine to back up external drives
Yup, what he said^

You can add that external drive to your Time Machine backup.

Connect your external drive (that contains the photos) to the computer.
Go to System Preferences > Time Machine > Options, remove your drive from the list.

Now Time Machine will back up that external drive completely (when it is connected to your computer)

OP
R
Reaction score
doesn't work

Thanks for response regarding how to get Time Machine to back up my external drive. However when followed the directions, the external drive shows up but is greyed out. Doesn't allow me to remove it from the list. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Is it a different drive from the one you do your Time Machine backups too?

I have an external drive connected to my iMac, and I was able to remove it from the list, therefor it is backed by Time Machine to my Time Capsule.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.