External HD: in HFS or NTFS?

Reaction score
I can work with NTFS HD with no problem on my macbook w "NTFS for MACOS" app. I also will be accessing files with a windows XP laptop.

is it better to work in NTFS or is HFS advisable when working via firewire 800 on macbook 2010?

I havent found a decent software for XP that can access HFS.

Will i run into journaling problem if I access the drives with different OS?

Am i risking corruption if i constantly access NTFS drives in my macbook by using 3rd party software?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If all you're doing is transferring data files back and forth, I tend to use NTFS for that drive. I use Paragon's NTFS for Mac which also comes with a driver to allow Windows to read HFS drives, although, I haven't had the need to use it as all of my machines are networked.

If you're using the drive as a backup to your Mac, you should be using HFS.

I've been using the Paragon software for about 3 years and have not noticed any data corruption (knock on wood).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I havent found a decent software for XP that can access HFS.

If you ever need to access a HFS volume from Windows, I can recommend MacDrive from Mediafour, it provides HFS read/write capabilities and you can access the drive natively.

MacDrive Mediafour

I haven't found an opensource/free option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.