Cant connect my macbook pro to my TV! :(

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have recently bought a macbook pro (13" 2.4ghz). On my old PC i had a samsung monitor with DVI output to my graphics card and also a vga output to my samsung 40" TV. My monitor was the main screen and the TV was an extension which i used for watching movies etc.

Now i have a macbook so i bought a minidisplay to DVI convertor so i can hook up my monitor in clamshell mode which works perfectly. Now i was told if i connect my vga cable into the back of my samsung monitor (as it has a vga port) and then into my TV...it would work the same. The TV cannot detect anything....i read a few forums and someone said that when i go on 'Display' in system preferences an 'Arrange' tab should appear...which it doesnt.

I desperately need to be able to have my macbook in clamshell mode...have my monitor connected for desktop work and then have my TV as an extension....does any know how i can do this.

Thanks for your time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
So you want to connect your MBP > MiniDP-to-DVI > Computer monitor DVI input > VGA connetion from monitor to VGA connection on your TV.

I really doubt your Monitor will pass the video signal through to your TV. I believe both ports on the monitor are inputs only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.