Checking your mac's health

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4
Is there a way to check my mac's health?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
it depends on what you mean by "health".

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
it depends on what you mean by "health".
If it is running at peak performance and nothing wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
no?.....odd question

Reaction score
Conehead778 said:
Is there a way to check my mac's health?
Could you be any more vague?

Not to sound mean, but a more specific question would perhaps reel in a more favorable answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
well.. your apples hardeware health just use your hardware test cd
but for software.. i dunno..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Try repair permissions using the disk utility in Applications... that will fix any file system issues on your HD from which software problems might stem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well to check performance, there's always activity monitor (found in apps>Utilities).

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

if it starts up and you can do what you normally do at relatively the same speed you have always done them at then your computer is fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It sounds to me (though correct me if I am wrong) that you are looking for something like Norton WinDoctor and Norton SystemDoctor, but for Macs.

There is no need for anything like this with Macs, as OS X will run maintenance scripts on its own overnight (providing that you leave it on 24x7). If you are looking for something to do in addition to this, then a bi-weekly permissions repair would be your best bet.

Outside of that, you don't need any apps to screen your Mac's "health". You are working with a completely different animal now, my friend...

<Yoda voice>Unlearn what you have learned, you must</Yoda voice>

I know its hard to do sometimes, but you just need to leave the Windows mentality behind and you will be just fine :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2Gb, 250Gb, 10.5.2
D3v1L80Y said:
It sounds to me (though correct me if I am wrong) that you are looking for something like Norton WinDoctor and Norton SystemDoctor, but for Macs.

There is no need for anything like this with Macs, as OS X will run maintenance scripts on its own overnight (providing that you leave it on 24x7). If you are looking for something to do in addition to this, then a bi-weekly permissions repair would be your best bet.

Outside of that, you don't need any apps to screen your Mac's "health". You are working with a completely different animal now, my friend...

<Yoda voice>Unlearn what you have learned, you must</Yoda voice>

I know its hard to do sometimes, but you just need to leave the Windows mentality behind and you will be just fine :black:

D3v1L80Y is absolutely right. I've had my new iBook for about 3 months now. For the first 2 months, I turned it off at night or anytime during the day that I wasn't using it. I was a little disappointed in the iBook's performance. I was running repair permissions about once a week to correct weird problems.

I then read that leaving your MAC on at night allows OSX to run its maintenance utilities. Since I've started leaving the iBook on, I've had no problems. It's amazing! I close the lid and let it sleep between jobs and just leave it plugged in and turned on at night. My uptime right now is 13 days and 20 hours.

The hardest part of switching is realizing that you're not using a regular pc anymore. You can, and should, leave your MAC on.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when you say leave it on do you mean let it sleep???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2Gb, 250Gb, 10.5.2
Conehead778 said:
when you say leave it on do you mean let it sleep???

No, I leave it on. I only let it sleep when I am traveling and it's in my laptop case.

I leave it turned on at night and have the display go to sleep after 1 hour of inactivity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.